Tandem y axis for plasma table

More
06 Oct 2020 20:29 #185137 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Tandem y axis for plasma table
OK if the commanded joint position is moving, then the problem is likely timing or electrical

1. Are the step timings still at 5000,5000,20000,20000? (they should be)
2. How is the 7I96 wired to the drive? (some drives need single ended wiring)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2020 20:52 - 06 Oct 2020 20:57 #185141 by Clive S

I tried changing both y joints to -1, just joint 1 just joint 2 and the same thing. Every combo still does the exact same thing. Y2 just runs away in the program but doesn't actually output to the drive.

It makes no difference be it -1 or -2 as long as both Y joint have the same - number.

I do notice that your step timings in the ini file are very short ie. 1000 try them at 4000

also the min and max limits should be the same in the axes part as well as the joint. You only have them is the axes section.

Yes you do need to home before you can jog the Y axis.

Edit : I notice that you are asking the same questions on two separate post !!!!

When you fire up the axis gui you should see the 4 joints on the screen then when homed it should change to just show the 3 axis XYZ
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 20:57 by Clive S.

More
06 Oct 2020 21:04 #185143 by Clive S

You cannot have a -2 for home sequence without a -1 as well. I answered your question elsewhere

I am not sure you are correct with the above. as long as the number don't have a gap they should be fine.

You don't need a -1 before a -2 you can use 0,1,-2 or 1,-2,0

More
06 Oct 2020 21:57 #185145 by Electechcans
Okay so i messed around with this some more and both Y1 and Y2 are working in tandem with the sequence for both set at -2 but i had to swap around the wires for the direction because even with it showing to run inverted in the hal file it still runs the same direction. I dont see why but im okay with that as long as it runs, now im working on the scaling and if i try to increase my step timings to suggested settings 5000,5000,20000,20000 i get velocity errors coming up and it just writes over my values. I tuned my scaling in pncconf but now in linuxcnc it is way off. Should i tune for linuxcnc or pncconf? This is so damn frustrating. I can move every axis to home and limits but i am no where near the correct scaling for a 48 inch by 48 inch cutting area.

More
06 Oct 2020 22:06 #185146 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Tandem y axis for plasma table
If you get complaints about the velocity you will need to reduce the steplength and step space timing. With your original scaling and velocity (10800 and ~2 IPS) the maximum step rate would be about 20 KHz. 5000,5000 timing is capable of close to 100 KHz so what is you current scale?

I would adjust the scaling in LinuxCNC via the calibrate menu

More
06 Oct 2020 22:13 #185148 by Electechcans
i just dropped my scaling to 1620 to get it close but its still not exact

More
06 Oct 2020 22:17 #185149 by Clive S

Okay so i messed around with this some more and both Y1 and Y2 are working in tandem with the sequence for both set at -2 but i had to swap around the wires for the direction because even with it showing to run inverted in the hal file it still runs the same direction. I dont see why but im okay with that as long as it runs, now im working on the scaling and if i try to increase my step timings to suggested settings 5000,5000,20000,20000 i get velocity errors coming up and it just writes over my values. I tuned my scaling in pncconf but now in linuxcnc it is way off. Should i tune for linuxcnc or pncconf? This is so damn frustrating. I can move every axis to home and limits but i am no where near the correct scaling for a 48 inch by 48 inch cutting area.

now you are this far I would not use pncconf as it will over write your files so use an editor to alter them.

i had to swap around the wires for the direction because even with it showing to run inverted in the hal file it still runs the same direction

you can either swap the wires over OR just put a - in front of the scale

i get velocity errors coming up and it just writes over my values.

What is the actual error and what do you mean by "its just write over my value"?

More
06 Oct 2020 22:26 #185151 by tommylight

You cannot have a -2 for home sequence without a -1 as well. I answered your question elsewhere

It can be -2, as long as both joint for a tandem axis have the save value.

More
06 Oct 2020 22:32 #185153 by tommylight
Merged both topics as it was a double post, used this title as it better represents the issue.

More
06 Oct 2020 22:39 #185154 by Electechcans
I am using the calibration function and when i adjust my scaling to where the table moves what it actually reads(1620) it sounds like crap and has slowed down tremendously. I adjusted the velocity to up to 200 and am getting stepgen.00.maxvel is too big for current step timings and position-scale, clipping to max possible. When i click test and go to refresh it writes my velocity to 61.7284.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds