Probe basic not launching, OpenGL issue?

More
10 Nov 2020 21:03 #188917 by spacemanspiffee
I'd like to get probe basic running on my machine.

I've installed it, but when I launch it, linuxcnc won't start and pops up the linuxcnc errors screen: imgur.com/a/Kis9rgl

It looks like it wants a newer version of OpenGL than I have and based on a little digging, it looks like the graphics card that I have doesn't support any newer version of Open GL than 2.1 unless I am not understanding things.

Do I have any options here? Do I need a new graphics card? New computer? (I'm not opposed to getting a new computer if that is what is necessary)

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
10 Nov 2020 21:37 #188924 by spacemanspiffee
I apologize for the double post, but I hadn't gotten any replies, so I thought a wider audience might help. I did not know there was a rule against double posting. I'm sorry for making extra work for you. I appreciate all the help you've given me and everyone on the forum here.

I found that first post you linked, which lead me to the point where I am now, thinking that my graphics card does not support a high enough version of OpenGL. I wasn't 100% clear if that was the issue and if so does that mean I need to get a new computer and/or graphics card.

I had not seen the second link. I'll dig into this and see what I can find out.
Thanks for the info.

More
10 Nov 2020 22:06 #188929 by tommylight
No worries, it just makes it harder for us to maintain, for users too find, and for those who try to help makes a mess as they would have to follow what is going on on which of the topics = and they both have the same title.
Most probably not the graphic card but the drivers, although it could be the card, never had the issue so can not help much, but i was sure it was discussed here on the forum.

More
11 Nov 2020 01:19 - 11 Nov 2020 01:19 #188946 by PCW
It can be the graphic card, for example the Core-Duo vintage Intel Graphics
will not support the OpenGL version needed for VTK. I fixed this by using a
add-in video card instead of the motherboard video.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2020 01:19 by PCW.

More
11 Nov 2020 15:15 #189007 by spacemanspiffee
Running lspci shows me VGA Compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I haven't found a good answer on what version of OpenGL that supports.

I'm already looking at replacing the computer anyways because it gets pretty bogged down even with just a few programs running. So this might be the nail in the coffin for this guy.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds