wiring & wizard setting for minimal working of simple normal closed limit switch

More
22 Feb 2021 07:44 #199684 by Aciera
You don't need to uninstall anything the system will boot from the usb device and if that works for you then you can install the system image on the hard drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2021 11:55 - 23 Feb 2021 11:56 #199814 by suraj9735

You don't need to uninstall anything the system will boot from the usb device and if that works for you then you can install the system image on the hard drive.

Successfully installed.

Got new locale error, tried very hard to add/edit/delete the locale but not able to change from Indian locale to US locale.

I am not able to edit/delete the locale file sitting at usr/lib/locale. Delete option get fridged. Tried to add US locale with command in terminal but it won't change.

Please give me the ninja command line to change my locale.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2021 11:56 by suraj9735.

More
23 Feb 2021 12:22 - 23 Feb 2021 12:31 #199818 by Aciera
In the terminal, what does this give you:
locale -a

[edit]
If your system is missing the required locale you can try this:
sudo apt-get install -y locales locales-all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

[edit2]

or maybe this if it is installed:
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
Last edit: 23 Feb 2021 12:31 by Aciera. Reason: changed command as the other didn't work on my machine
The following user(s) said Thank You: dkraft

More
23 Feb 2021 14:07 #199829 by suraj9735

In the terminal, what does this give you:
locale -a

[edit]
If your system is missing the required locale you can try this:
sudo apt-get install -y locales locales-all

[edit2]

or maybe this if it is installed:
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

I just did edit1 and it works for me. I don't understand when/why do I need to use [edit2]. It doesn't look like command line.

More
23 Feb 2021 14:28 #199831 by suraj9735
I need some clarification, please help me to understand the LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO

Earlier I was using generic kernel and it was running in Ubuntu. It has very nice user interface and all the BIOS driver installed, so I was nicely using linuxcnc (but very high value of latency test) and all other software, multimedia, etc. But now I have installed LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO. This real time Debian has similar installing process like any other operating system (windows, Ubuntu, etc.) and I didn't know this and checking the latency in older linuxcnc in Ubuntu. Finally I figured it out and boot into Debian, but here I feel it's pretty basic operating system and so many drivers are missing like my earphone has no audio, don't have favorite application/software, etc. I need to switch back into Ubuntu for my work.

Is it common what I am feeling with this new LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO?????????
Do I need to use another computer for my regular work and dedicate this computer for only LinuxCNC??????

I am very new to Linux and LinuxCNC.

More
23 Feb 2021 15:27 #199839 by Aciera

Is it common what I am feeling with this new LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO?????????

Yes. The idea is usually to have this installed as a machine controller and not as your everyday work system. This is a simple Debian installation with generic drivers and while you can install pretty much everything you might be missing it's going to be a fairly involved process but if you want to learn linux then that isn't the worst way to start. This is by the way why Ubuntu got so popular because it uses Debian and adds all the bells and whistles.

If you really need everything on one machine then there is also LinuxMint (which is based on Ubuntu) but the setup process is NOT quite as beginner friendly:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...stall?start=0#175816
The following user(s) said Thank You: dkraft

More
24 Feb 2021 07:03 #199928 by suraj9735

Yes. The idea is usually to have this installed as a machine controller and not as your everyday work system. This is a simple Debian installation with generic drivers and while you can install pretty much everything you might be missing it's going to be a fairly involved process but if you want to learn linux then that isn't the worst way to start. This is by the way why Ubuntu got so popular because it uses Debian and adds all the bells and whistles.

If you really need everything on one machine then there is also LinuxMint (which is based on Ubuntu) but the setup process is NOT quite as beginner friendly:

Thanks a lot

More
24 Feb 2021 10:28 #199952 by suraj9735

I am using linuxcnc 2.8. I am able to run my motor in jog/MDI/automatic mode very well. When I try to connect Limit switch it gives error "joint 0 is on limit switch error". I tried everything like inverting the pin, NO/NC mode of limit switch but it gives the same error all the time.

I read the forum, people are saying 2.8 doesn't support the input/output pin of mesa 7i95. It may be the reason that I am not able to use my input pin 0. They are suggesting to install the the 2.9 master file and I don't know where to find it.

What to do?????
1) upgrade to 2.8.1 and check again???
2) need to install 2.9 master file????

Please help

More
24 Feb 2021 11:40 #199960 by tommylight
Upgrading to 2.8.1 should be easy, see
Buildbot.linuxcnc.org
Pretty sure there was talk of porting the Mesa 7i95 code to 2.8, not sure if it happened.

More
24 Feb 2021 12:12 #199966 by suraj9735

Upgrading to 2.8.1 should be easy, see
Buildbot.linuxcnc.org
Pretty sure there was talk of porting the Mesa 7i95 code to 2.8, not sure if it happened.

If you see my above discussion in this thread only, I was using 2.8.1 in Ubuntu with generic kernel and everything was running well except limit switch. So I think upgrading to 2.8.1 with RT PREEMPT won't solve my limit switch problem but I will try.

I found one discussion about downloading a newmesa.zip file and unzipping in mentioned folder can solve the working of i/o pins of mesa 7i95. Should I try this?

newmesa.zip discussion
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds