Sample config w/tool length

More
23 Aug 2023 20:52 #278825 by jmytyk
Replied by jmytyk on topic Sample config w/tool length
the above iso worked great, i did a quick test running it as a VM.

just a data point, which may be completely irrelevant, i launched as a linux live version first, then attempted to start over and run as a full install. i was greeted with hyper-v errors that related to hyper v not being able to find a way to boot. this may be 100% my issue, as i am quite a novice with that tool... starting from scratch with a new VM, and choosing 'install' instead of 'live' worked without issue...

Cheers -J
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2023 23:08 #278830 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Sample config w/tool length
Great!
What VM are you using? I am using Virtual Box on Debian 12. I have not had any issues.
I am just working on rebuilding it which hopefully will fix the non-free-firmware problem

More
24 Aug 2023 15:15 #278869 by jmytyk
i'm on a win10 machine using the included hyper-v i started this VM adventure to try out the ISO you provided... so i totally assume most problems are my problems :)

the only reason i mention it as a data point, i tried the 'official' ISO that includes 2.8 when tinkering, it worked in 'live' mode then i restarted the VM and was able to choose 'install' without killing the VM from hyper-v's point of view. started up a new / clean VM, choosing the your ISO, booted into 'live' mode without issue, attempted to get back to step 1, to choose install mode... no dice... i don't recall the shut down method, maybe i broke it at this point... (or maybe hyper-v wasn't configured correctly somehow.)

thanks again!

More
25 Aug 2023 02:30 - 25 Aug 2023 02:32 #278896 by supermoto

Buster (which I assume you have) you should  add non-free to the first 2 lines then sudo apt update

Bookworm added a new setting non-free-firmware but it wont work for buster
Most likely drivers did not exist when buster was released. Sometimes if you can find it the chipset used by your wifi dongle, you can find the driver. Sometimes it will need compiling. Sometimes it requires a different compiler to what you might have.
Copying your ~/Linuxcnc/config folder contents should be all that's required. If required Linuxcnc should upgrade it when first opened.

The computer that's controlling the cnc is Buster and doesn't have web access.  Doesn't that mean the sudo apt update wont work?

Last edit: 25 Aug 2023 02:32 by supermoto.

More
25 Aug 2023 03:06 #278898 by rodw
Computer technology is a continually evolving journey. That journey involves internet connectivity.
I strongly recommend you find a way to get connected while you are installing linuxcnc.
Also you can't expect an OS released in 2019 to contain all the drivers required for your machine in 2023

For a VM on Windows I recommend VMware Player but Virtual Box also works.

More
25 Aug 2023 11:37 #278923 by supermoto
The wife is gonna love having a network cable stretched across the house and into the garage! haha
Its an HP ThinClient from 2013 with a Broadcom wifi adapter. It didn't even cross my mind that it would potentially not get set up. Maybe I can find a laptop that has functionality and use that instead. ...or maybe a USB network adapter.

More
25 Aug 2023 17:08 - 25 Aug 2023 17:13 #278939 by jmytyk
maybe source a USB based Wifi dongle to side step the HP thin client problem?  get the antenna out of the control cabinet would be a major plus. better luck with drivers then... debian buster usb wifi should lead in a direction...

or make the jump to 2.9 with the updated ISO?

Last edit: 25 Aug 2023 17:13 by jmytyk. Reason: clarity

More
25 Aug 2023 23:16 #278962 by rodw
Get a couple of these (Price shown is in AUD)
cctvguru.com.au/products/ubiquiti-airmax...includes-poe-adapter
They are powerd by PoE and there should be a power adapter at each end.
Shed end, just wire it to a switch (no need for a router)

We used these for an 800 metre link for over 10 years between houses and they are bulletproof!

More
25 Aug 2023 23:28 #278964 by supermoto
I dug up a USB adapter. One that I used many years ago in a linux machine for a media source at my television.

Ill see if it works on the cnc this weekend and report back. Its a Panda PAU09:
www.wirelesshack.org/review-panda-wirele...and-wifi-dongle.html

More
26 Aug 2023 18:44 #279015 by supermoto
USB adapter works, slowly, but it works.

Will research the update process and see if i can pull it off and integrate tool height measurements.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds