Another realtime delay question - Mesa card

More
02 Jan 2024 21:36 #289610 by PCW
To check:

ethtool -c [your ethernet device name]

you may need

/sbin/ethtool -c [your ethernet device name]

on debian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2024 22:31 #289611 by tommylight

Your advanced knowledge obviously evolved from the hobby with hardware you have, you are fortunate, Tommy.

Yea, but not a hobby, had 3 PC shops, worked as IT admin/network admin for OSCE and UN and local government, first computer in 1982 or thereabouts, electronics all my life since 7, blew a part of the building at 9, poisoned myself with Chlorine at 10, etc, etc, the list is very, very long.
All this in a country where i could not find a decent science magazine, still can not find M3 screws! But it taught me to find solutions to everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
02 Jan 2024 23:09 #289618 by Mecanix
Fascinating, Tommy. Yes I've noticed, and in fact gained an incredible amount of knowledge based on your contributions here, for one I'm grateful for that.

A bit surprised to hear about your terrorism/fast-demolition skillset (!!), less on the chemical abuse though; also got severely poisoned when much younger, LSD it was if my memory serves well lol Likewise, BCompSc and career in the public sector here too (interesting). Keep it up ~fanclub. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Jan 2024 09:00 - 03 Jan 2024 09:11 #289642 by chienMouille
@rodw: I did install grub-customizer now and did change to the second option you mentionned as I did find cstate in the bios, and then also changed the interfaces file again from eth1 to enp1s0.
Rebooted, no difference in latency, if anything maybe slightly worst.

and output from ethtool -c

/sbin/ethtool -c enp1s0
Coalesce parameters for enp1s0:
Adaptive RX: n/a TX: n/a
stats-block-usecs: n/a
sample-interval: n/a
pkt-rate-low: n/a
pkt-rate-high: n/a

rx-usecs: 0
rx-frames: n/a
rx-usecs-irq: n/a
rx-frames-irq: n/a

tx-usecs: 3
tx-frames: n/a
tx-usecs-irq: n/a
tx-frames-irq: n/a

rx-usecs-low: n/a
rx-frame-low: n/a
tx-usecs-low: n/a
tx-frame-low: n/a

rx-usecs-high: n/a
rx-frame-high: n/a
tx-usecs-high: n/a
tx-frame-high: n/a

CQE mode RX: n/a TX: n/a

@Mecanix: How shall I try and modify the interface parameters to match your example?

Also, sorry to insist with my naivety, but what are the actual practical consequences of this bad timing on the machining process? What are the risks of keeping it at 80000 latency? I honestly have been getting this error for a while before getting myself to post here. And I haven't noticed any problem with the machine, keeping tolerances in the thousands of mm and speed of 3000 mm/m.

On second thoughts I always bad latency tests with this HW, but I don't think I was getting this error as much before upgrading to bookworm and 2.9. I definitely had to change the servo thread timing only after upgrade. Does that help diagnose?
Last edit: 03 Jan 2024 09:11 by chienMouille.

More
03 Jan 2024 10:46 #289648 by rodw
Run this and share a screen dump. It will confirm isolcpus is set
latency-histogram --nobase --sbins 100

I hve never used a 2 core machine with linuxcnc, mostly 4 core celerons J1900 and up. I kind of think the 2 cores are at the end of life  but a few people have got them going. Generally with a compiled kernel which is your next step. There was a thread recently where somebody showed how to compile the 6.6 kernel

More
03 Jan 2024 12:28 #289652 by chienMouille
really? Honestly, I'm think I^m the nurdy type but this super low level stuff is a bit much still.

here is the screenshot

Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2024 12:50 #289654 by rodw
Are you still getting realtime delays?
In answer to your question latency under 150000 even up to 200000  are generally OK.

You need to run the test for longer and run a few glxgears

More
03 Jan 2024 13:25 #289656 by chienMouille
Ok, I'm gonna run the histogram for a while with some glxgears. I'll come back to you with the results.

In the meanwhile can we do a bit of vulgarization here?

Tell me if I get this right:
From machine to computer: The servo needs (I guess) 230V with a varied frequency to control its speed (I guess that is pulsed in some way, I really never looked into it). The servo controller supplies this to the motor, following instructions in the form of 5V DC pulses coming at high speed from the Mesa card. This timing is obviously critical, hence the dedicated mesa card. The Mesa is talking to the computer through the ethernet port. What's happening there: does the computer send straight Gcode (in binary form or something) or does it itself send pulses that are then buffered in the mesa)? What translation happens from the Gcode and where? What's the risk of a realtime delay in this communication? To miss a pulse? To miss a whole Gcode line? To crash?

More
03 Jan 2024 13:51 - 03 Jan 2024 13:52 #289658 by chienMouille
So herewith is the new screenshot after a while and with 5 glxgears. So it's quite exactly 150000 right?
I still get realtime error messages.
Here is the timing in the ini file. should I change it?

[EMCMOT]
EMCMOT = motmod
COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
#BASE_PERIOD = 80000
SERVO_PERIOD = 1500000

Otherwise, should I compile a Kernel? I must say I like high level stuff like python coding, but words like kernel and compile together give me shivers.

Another option would be to get something like this:

www.prodimex.ch/gigabyte-brix-gb-bace-31...ace-3160-109329.html

quad core. and migrate the ssd and the ram from the one I have. Would this make sense?
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2024 13:52 by chienMouille.

More
05 Jan 2024 08:13 #289836 by rodw
You have not said if you are still getting real time errors. It might now be OK.

The Gigabyt N3160 is gennerally fine. I have used one for several years.
They have a realtek driver so you will probably have to install the r8i68-dkms driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chienMouille

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds