Ethercat installation from repositories - how to step by step

More
28 Aug 2023 21:23 #279216 by rodw
The default Bookworm kernel in my ISO is 6.1 so you are in the clear!
Sorry but the download had a regression and is missing nonfree and nonfree-firmware in /etc/apt/sources.list
You will nead them. Please edit the file and add "nonfree nonfree-firmware" to the end of each line starting with  deb then
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade (to get the very latest 2.9 linuxcnc)
So once installed, I think you should install  the r8125-dkms driver (which is in non-free) to get best network performance
sudo apt install r8125-dkms 
If this breaks your network, it must be purged, not removed sudo apt purge r8125-dkms

@transint, I can't help without seeing your config files. Sounds like you got something wrong there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mwc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2023 21:35 #279219 by mwc
It'll likely be the weekend before I get a chance to try this.

I've not had any time to work on the machine that this setup is likely to end up on, but I've been checking in occasionally to see what developments have been happening, however I might soon have a bit free time to get a few workshop projects worked on, so am wanting to see if I can get this working reliably or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
29 Aug 2023 05:53 #279257 by Transint
Warning: Spoiler!

More
30 Aug 2023 22:09 #279419 by Goodwood
Thank you so much for such a quick installation with absolutely no hitches. I'm in shock.
The next challenge is to install the Yaskawa sigma 7 servos and drives.Do you have a list of the chips that this will run on. I want to put it onto an IPC. Thanks again.

More
31 Aug 2023 03:42 #279440 by rodw

Thank you so much for such a quick installation with absolutely no hitches. I'm in shock.
The next challenge is to install the Yaskawa sigma 7 servos and drives.Do you have a list of the chips that this will run on. I want to put it onto an IPC. Thanks again.

Great feedback thanks. Any industrial 64 bit 4 core PC  I think. I don't  think we have 32 bit repos of linuxcnc for bookworm.
Some people have got linuxcnc to run on 2 core machines but it needs a bit more work. eg update the kernel and check/update  network drivers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goodwood

More
31 Aug 2023 05:27 #279445 by foxington
I am running 2 core now too and have more problems.

hich hw can you recommned for it please?

I am looking for small or mini PC with single network and single wifi connection. I found something like Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Tiny Intel Core i5-4590T, HD 4600, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD ... do you think, should it run without major problems?

thanks

regards Slav

More
31 Aug 2023 06:29 - 31 Aug 2023 06:30 #279449 by rodw
Try this 6.3 kernel I built linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...lling_a_later_kernel
Also check to see you don't have a Realtek network card as per this chapter in the same document
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...ltek_network_drivers

EDIT:  and also isolcpus=1
Last edit: 31 Aug 2023 06:30 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foxington

More
31 Aug 2023 10:04 #279459 by foxington
Isolation cores is basic thing what have to be done after any kind of work with lcnc .. very important like u said..

I do not find my network hardware in that list... My pc has 

Maybe should be problem with kernel ... Because there is 4.19.0.11 kernel ... I have to add new harddrive to boot on your hybrid.iso which looks very nice ...

But kernel have to be replaced with 6.3 because only 2 cores in hardware... Am I right?

More
31 Aug 2023 10:57 #279463 by rodw
Ok, you have an Intel NIC. That is good!. For ethercat, just use the generic driver.
4.19 is buster and I've never used it. You could adapt the how to and getting linuxcnc doc to Buster by changing a few settings.
Everything I have set up recently has been around Bookworm. A couple of guys I know have got Bookworm working with Mesa devices on 2 core machines with the 6.3 kernel. You probably should add the coalescing settings as shown in man hm2_eth. But ethercat is much more efficient so it performs better than the protocols Mesa use so it might not be necessary.

The other thing you could try is IRQ pinning and pin the NIC interrupt to the one Linuxcnc uses (likely the isolated core) You will hhave to google that but the theory is that if both the servo thread (and perhaps the ethercat master too) and NIC are all  on the same core, it will be more efficient

I think your i5 will be fine. I have a i3 that works pretty welll once optimised even with a crappy Realtek NIC.

More
03 Sep 2023 22:37 #279765 by mwc
Just installed this, and it's a step forward from my previous test, but still have an initial startup issue so I'll update my other thread shortly.

One minor thing Rod, Git isn't installed by default in your iso.
Also the realtek drivers aren't that easy to install on the H3. I did try following the Odriod instructions ( odroid-h3:hardware:install_ethernet_driver_on_h3plus [ODROID Wiki]  ), but it came up with an error, so I skipped them for now. The generic driver appears to work fine.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds