Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob

More
21 Sep 2018 13:30 - 21 Sep 2018 13:31 #117847 by ikkuh
Hi,

I am in the middle of a transition from two el cheapo Chinese parallel BOB interfaces to my new Mesa 7i96 card.
At the moment I am using a 600watt spindle that is PWM controlled through one of the bob's. In the future I will use a rs485 connection to drive a 2.2 Kw spindle and VDF (already working on my workbench).

I need my current cnc machine to fabricate the parts for the bigger new Z axis. But I do not understand how to implement a parallel board (solely for the pwm) and a 7i96 in LinuxCNC. I noticed there is an option in pncconf to add a parallel port board in the config. But since pncconf does not recognize my 7i96 board the wizard does not get me a valid setup.

Is adding a parallel bob as easy as adding the 'normal' parallel board statements to the hal file?

This is what I use now (for one bob):
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out"
setp parport.0.reset-time 5000
loadrt pwmgen output_type=1
Last edit: 21 Sep 2018 13:31 by ikkuh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2018 13:50 - 21 Sep 2018 13:57 #117848 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob
That would be correct if you are using the host PCs parallel port

If you want to use a parallel port BOB with spindle analog output on the 7I96's expansion port, you would need to first
install firmware on the 7I96 that supports PWM on the expansion port, like 7i96_5abob_d.bit. This firmware supports
the common 5 Axis $5 Chinese BOBs on the 7I96's expansion port.

Once that is done, you will have a PWM generator available for the 5 Axis BOB analog output, so if you have a working 7I96 configuration you can add the PWM setup and net connections in the hal file to control the spindle.
You can find all the available PWM pins and parameters with "halcmd show all | grep pwm" when LinuxCNC is running.

Beware that the cheap 5 Axis BOB analog output has a common power supply with
the limit switch inputs so do not use those BOBS on a non-isolated (hot potentiometer)
spindle control.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2018 13:57 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ikkuh

More
22 Sep 2018 09:09 - 22 Sep 2018 09:37 #117863 by ikkuh
Replied by ikkuh on topic Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob

That would be correct if you are using the host PCs parallel port

Ok, will try this on my new machine. Thank you.

If you want to use a parallel port BOB with spindle analog output on the 7I96's expansion port, you would need to first
install firmware on the 7I96 that supports PWM on the expansion port, like 7i96_5abob_d.bit. This firmware supports
the common 5 Axis $5 Chinese BOBs on the 7I96's expansion port.

I try to keep the Mesa card as stock as possible. I made a 26pin flatcable from connector P1 so I can use these
modules nl.aliexpress.com/item/PC817-4-Channel-O...1.0.0.499c4c4dNMykPy

I now have IO34 -IO50 available in LinuxCNC. The modules have their own power supply and are trully seperated from the 7i96 board.
The limit switches on the machine which are not microswitches , the proxy switches, are also through the opto-coupler modules connected to the board, I use the lower inputs from TB3 connector for the limit switches and so on.
I plan to use the 'extra' IO34-IO50 for hardware switches/buttons next to my touchscreen so I can operate LinuxCNC with nice arcade style big buttons (the dust on my touchscreen makes it hard to use the screen).

Once that is done, you will have a PWM generator available for the 5 Axis BOB analog output, so if you have a working 7I96 configuration you can add the PWM setup and net connections in the hal file to control the spindle.
You can find all the available PWM pins and parameters with "halcmd show all | grep pwm" when LinuxCNC is running.

I plan to use the rs-485 method as described by Marco Reps
It works already in my test setup. Even the VFD panel works now in gmoccapy

The VFD works correctly already. So I plan to take it out and replace with the appropriate commands for the BOB pwm.
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.ACV
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.CNST
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-bracking ==> hy-CNST-Bracking
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-command-rf ==> hy-CNST-Command-rf
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-jog ==> hy-CNST-Jog
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-jogging ==> hy-CNST-Jogging
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-run ==> hy-CNST-Run
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-running ==> hy-CNST-Runnning
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-running-rf ==> hy-CNST-Running-rf
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.CNST-track-start ==> hy-CNST-Track-Start
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.CNTR
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.Cont
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.DCV
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.OutA ==> hy-AMPS
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.OutF
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.Rott ==> hy-RPM
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.SetF
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.Tmp
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.base-freq
    29  bit   IN           TRUE  vfd.enable
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.freq-lower-limit ==> hy-Freq-Lower
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.frequency-command
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.hycomm-ok ==> hy-Modbus-OK
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.max-freq ==> hy-Max-Freq
    29  u32   OUT    0x00000000  vfd.motor-poles
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.rated-motor-current ==> hy-Motor-Current
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.rated-motor-rev ==> hy-Motor-Rev
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.rated-motor-voltage ==> hy-Motor-Voltage
    29  float IN              0  vfd.speed-command <== spindle-cmd-rpm-abs
    29  bit   OUT         FALSE  vfd.spindle-at-speed
    29  float IN           0.02  vfd.spindle-at-speed-tolerance
    29  bit   IN          FALSE  vfd.spindle-forward <== spindle-cw
    29  bit   IN          FALSE  vfd.spindle-on
    29  bit   IN          FALSE  vfd.spindle-reverse <== spindle-ccw
    29  float OUT             0  vfd.spindle-speed-fb
Last edit: 22 Sep 2018 09:37 by ikkuh. Reason: added vfd report
The following user(s) said Thank You: pmconsulting

More
27 Jun 2019 02:44 #137951 by pmconsulting
That's so cool! I just got my 7i96 working today. 3 days to figure out & install windows 10 w/ Fusion 360 on one drive and linuxcnc with the 7i96 on a SSD with grub boot loader. Found everything I could to break somthing along the way, but now it's fully functional, except for moving hardware from my old PC & asian BOB.

I have a small Sherline 2010 mill & Sherline 4410 lathe. The mill is 4-axis and I wanted to figure out how I could connect both machines and make separate configurations for each one & use the same 7i96.

I understand that I can connect the board and act as though it's connected the way it was. What I don't understand is what tool do I use to create a configuration for this arrangement?

More
27 Jun 2019 06:36 #137965 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob
why the second parallelboob
there are so many pins at the 7i96

and if you only need 0-10V
use a simple electronics if you need some more control

here is a overkill but it workes great on a simple pwm pin

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2019 13:16 - 27 Jun 2019 13:59 #137997 by PCW

That's so cool! I just got my 7i96 working today. 3 days to figure out & install windows 10 w/ Fusion 360 on one drive and linuxcnc with the 7i96 on a SSD with grub boot loader. Found everything I could to break somthing along the way, but now it's fully functional, except for moving hardware from my old PC & asian BOB.

I have a small Sherline 2010 mill & Sherline 4410 lathe. The mill is 4-axis and I wanted to figure out how I could connect both machines and make separate configurations for each one & use the same 7i96.

I understand that I can connect the board and act as though it's connected the way it was. What I don't understand is what tool do I use to create a configuration for this arrangement?

I suspect the tool you need is a text editor :-)

I would use Johns configuration utility to create lathe and mill configurations
and then assuming the mill configuration uses the native 7I96 connections
and the lathe uses the expansion port + your breakout, you may need to hand edit
the lathe configuration to change the stepgen numbers and GPIO pins
if the configuration utility does not present the expansion pins as options
Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 13:59 by PCW.

More
28 Jun 2019 00:19 #138059 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob
My 7i96 configuration tool is located here:

jethornton.github.io/7i96/

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: nkp

More
07 Jul 2019 00:07 #138763 by pmconsulting
Hi Big John,

I have a completely functional 4-axis mill working by using your config tool. Couple of questions: First, I haven't figured out if I can disable the PWM output for the spindle control. I'm using a manual speed controlled Sherline 2010, so I don't need PWM outputs. If I launch straight from the generated configuration, the only error I need to fix is to comment out a few lines referencing these outputs and I'm, good to go. Is there a setting in your tool for this that I'm missing?

Second questions: I also have a Sherline 4410 lathe that I've CNC'd and connected to a generic parallel breakout board. That bob is connected to the 25 pin port on the 7i96.

I want to be able to launch the lathe config for controlling the lathe and the mill config for controlling that machine. The mill is done. The only hangup for the lathe is how do I generate a configuration that controls step & dir outputs on the bob? Obviously, if I just set up a lathe config, the first 2 axis are moving those respective axis on the mill, rather than the lathe.

I would assume that it's probably straight forward to modify the ID of those 2 lathe axis in the hal or ini file (or both?), but I have no idea what I need to change them to. There isn't an option for choosing a generic bob in your setup tool, and I don't know how to get the 7i96 to report what the entire list of available ports are.

Does this require flashing the 7i96 with firmware specifically for the parallel bob? Where do I find those files if they are needed?

Thanks for all your help & your fantastic setup program. A real time saver!

More
07 Jul 2019 00:48 - 07 Jul 2019 00:48 #138765 by PCW
7i96_5abob_d.bit is probably the bitfile you want (in 7i96.zip from mesa)

For a lathe config to share the same 7I96 but with the lathe connected to the parallel BOB you
have to make a config that uses the stepgen numbers on the 7I96's expansion port (5,6,7)

Not sure if the config program can do this so it may require hand editing

Will the lathe use the 7I96 encoder input?

Also if you have the 7I96 connected to 2 machines make very sure that you do not
connect the expansion cable live as there may be potential differences between the
two machine grounds which could damage the 7I96 expansion port pins
Last edit: 07 Jul 2019 00:48 by PCW.

More
08 Jul 2019 11:37 #138856 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Mesa 7i96 + parallel bob
Attach your ini file so I can open it with the configuration tool and also tell me what lines you had to comment out.

JT

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds