THC not activating

More
08 Nov 2022 00:22 #256177 by Jalapeno56
I screwed up...
I am running Linuxcnc 2.9 with QTPlasmac v1.223.185
There was an update a few days ago and I updated without backing up my settings.  I then proceeded to travel down a rabbit hole or 2 trying to improve my cut speeds.  The machine seems to run great with the exception of the THC will not activate.  I believe that I am having an issue with not reaching the 99.9% feed rate to activate it.  The THC will activate if I use a velocity setting that is over 10 inches/sec.  That is too fast and the THC is erratic.  I have voltage showing, so I know the THC-AD 10 is working, THC is of course enabled.  The velocity anti dive light comes on, whether turned on or not, upon initial pilot arc and stays on the whole cut.  I have included a backup file with all my info.  Any help is much appreciated!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2022 00:51 #256178 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC not activating
Set the VAD value to 60 or 65 and save it.
It is never required to be more than that in normal use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jalapeno56

More
08 Nov 2022 00:54 #256179 by Jalapeno56
Replied by Jalapeno56 on topic THC not activating
I run VAD Threshhold at 65%. It worked well previous to my velocity and acceleration changes.

More
08 Nov 2022 01:01 #256180 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC not activating
Did you also disable the void lock?
Look at the voltage while cutting, if it fluctuates a lot, check the cable from THCAD to Mesa board and it's shield.

More
08 Nov 2022 01:15 - 08 Nov 2022 01:19 #256181 by Jalapeno56
Wiring appears to be good, also hooked up a 9v to verify correct voltage displayed. The voltage while cutting currently fluctuates between 78 and 102 during a cut, usually bounces between 97 and 99 when THC was working.
I did try a cut earlier with VAD disabled and void anti disabled together, and each disabled on their own, no change.
The only changes I am aware of between THC working and not working are:
latest update
Velocity and acceleration changes in the ini file
Settings in configuration tab (I didnt back up before update, so they should be the same , but no guarantees)
Last edit: 08 Nov 2022 01:19 by Jalapeno56.

More
08 Nov 2022 01:37 #256183 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic THC not activating
Assuming that you use the default material speed of 200 ipm, is the velocity reaching that during a cut?

More
08 Nov 2022 01:54 #256184 by Jalapeno56
I am trying to get to 200ipm. My max with previous settings was 190. Thus the velocity and acceleration changes. According to Halscope watching x-vel-cmd, it only reaches 3.333 momentarily during a y-lateral cut.  not the best screen shot... its   showing 2.9 but it did get to 3.3333 on a different try.  This is a curve leading into a straight line.  Looks very erratic to me tho.
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2022 02:02 #256185 by Jalapeno56
Previous reply should state "x-lateral cut" not "y-lateral cut"

More
08 Nov 2022 02:53 #256186 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic THC not activating
That explains why THC is not activating. I am not sure why the velocity is random, maybe it is not physically capable of the max specified. You could try the Calibration button in the Parameters/Setting tab and see if you can tune the motors.

When you mention update previously what did you update? The ini and prefs files don't seem to be the current version.

More
09 Nov 2022 00:25 #256252 by Jalapeno56
The update was an OS update. I assume it also updated QT at the same time. At any rate, I think I have it figured out: My X and Y velocity and acceleration speeds were too low. Your comment about the files not being the current version are correct. I found an old ini file that I uploaded to you guys back in May when I was first learning (still learning). My settings now were quite a bit different than the old ini. With settings updated, the THC works now. Not sure if the OS update or me, scrambled something. Old configurations are now deleted and new is backed up. Bright side is I definitely learned to back up settings and try to analyze the big picture!
Thank you all for your help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds