Spindle feedback - how did encoder attach?

More
26 Oct 2013 15:17 - 26 Oct 2013 15:20 #40302 by greenbuggy
I'm looking towards the future and thinking seriously about getting myself a VFD so I can have a closed loop to my spindle for tapping and precise speed control.

My mill is a Lagun FTV-3 with a varispeed head, 3 HP. It has a backgear with a manual shift lever and when shifted into backgear, the spindle runs the opposite direction as when its in high gear.

I'm curious how those of you with a varispeed head have coupled your encoder to the spindle, firstly, and secondly how you set up the HAL so computer knows when to run the motor forward and reverse in order to do different operations. A lot of what I've been doing lately has involved drilling some bigger holes and speed is way too fast, even when the varispeed head is cranked all the way down. I know a VFD can drop that speed by 50% or more but I'm also under the impression that torque drops off quickly past a certain point and the varispeed belt robs a fair bit of power getting it to the spindle.

On the opposite side, if you need the spindle to go fast enough can LinuxCNC be set up to warn you that you are brushing up against the max you've specified in the VFD and its a good idea to run up the ratio in the varispeed to acheive your desired RPM, or how does that work?
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 15:20 by greenbuggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2013 19:28 - 26 Oct 2013 19:29 #40315 by BigJohnT
If you use an Automation Direct GS-2 VFD you can plug it into the serial port and control it with the gs2 component over modbus. You will need the braking resistor and serial cable as well as the VFD. The 3hp unit is single phase or 3 phase in and 3 phase out.

My plan for my BP knee mill is to replace the original motor with a newer motor that can run up to 4k rpm and replace the vari-speed with timing belt setup. Right now I rigid tap with the current setup and just run the motor at 1800 RPM for milling and set the vari-speed to what I want and use 600 RPM with the vari-speed set at 500 so I'm really turning about 166 RPM when tapping.

My spindle is a Quik Change 200 so nothing sticks out the top like a R8 drawbar so I just made an adapter to fit the spindle and mounted the encoder to the top.

JT
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 19:29 by BigJohnT.

More
27 Oct 2013 08:29 #40335 by andypugh
If you have a drawbar, then you can use gears or a belt:
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iulzpxEATS...pFm0?feat=directlink
Or if there is a bull-gear, use that as an encoder:
www.pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

You can probably auto-detect gear ratio:
linuxcnc.org/dapper/index.php/english/fo...indle-gear-detection

More
17 Nov 2013 12:26 #40885 by jmelson

I

I'm curious how those of you with a varispeed head have coupled your encoder to the spindle

There's no easy way to put an encoder in a Bridgeport head without blocking the drawbar.
So, I made the bull gear into an encoder wheel. See
pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

This is on a Bridgeport 1J head, where the bull gear stays put, axially. On the 2J
head, the bull gear goes up and down to select direct drive or back gear. That
is a slight complication in getting the sensors in the right place. Hopefully
your Lagun is not made that way.

Jon

More
20 Mar 2016 05:16 #71932 by jonesturf
Big John - What are the specs on that encoder?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds