Using CNC to cut templates and Gaskets?

More
28 May 2014 06:45 #47424 by yoshimitsuspeed
I am trying to think of a cheap easy way to cut gaskets and paper templates using my CNC.
I know one option could be to use a small cutter of some sort but I was wondering if anyone had any crazy ideas like some sort of rasor blade type cutter or anything else I may not be thinking of?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2014 07:01 #47427 by andypugh

I am trying to think of a cheap easy way to cut gaskets and paper templates using my CNC.

Use a drag-knife, as used in vinyl cutters. Something like www.ebay.com/itm/161317117222

I used one in a flatbed plotter to cut out many, many layers of sticker paper to make 3D parts from.

More
29 May 2014 00:00 #47469 by yoshimitsuspeed
That's awesome. I was hoping there was something just like that but wasn't sure what I was looking for.
Any idea on the accuracy? Due to the way it casters I would have to imagine it's a little inaccurate but it doesn't trail very far behind so maybe not much?
I will get one of these to play with but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to see what's out there.
It looks like any even small laser setup would be pretty pricey. Has anyone found any cheaper options or other workarounds for that?

More
29 May 2014 00:26 #47471 by andypugh

Due to the way it casters I would have to imagine it's a little inaccurate but it doesn't trail very far behind so maybe not much?

I think they trail by 0.25mm. If you want a perfectly square corner I think you need to do a 270 degree loop on the waste side.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds