How hard to convert my current Mill?

More
03 Apr 2016 14:47 #72626 by BigJohnT
That looks like the output from the controller to the drives, I assume those 4 cables go to the drives?

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2016 14:54 #72627 by sticky
Each drive has 3 cables (top 2 and bottom left) the bottom right (CN3) does not appear to have ever been used (light corrosion on the terminal).

More
10 May 2016 12:52 #74442 by DesignBC
I am working on replacing that control as well, however, my control quit working entirely and I had no option. Additional the control was very limiting anyway, making it an easy decision. I have already removed all the sony controls and ordered my Mesa hardware. I will let you know how my progress moves along. Good luck.

More
11 May 2016 14:33 #74516 by sticky
Awesome! Just in case it might help, here are the manuals for the controller and the servos.

Controller:
NU-20/30 Controller
Servos:
Mitsubishi J2 Servo Manual

I have received my 7i77 / 5i25 kit from mesaus.com (thanks John!). I disconnected the Sony controller & removed the Sony computer boards in the rear cabinet. I am currently wiring the 7i77 to the servos as we speak! Hopefully I will have this conversion done within the next week or so.

More
12 May 2016 12:56 #74546 by bevins

Awesome! Just in case it might help, here are the manuals for the controller and the servos.

Controller:
NU-20/30 Controller
Servos:
Mitsubishi J2 Servo Manual

I have received my 7i77 / 5i25 kit from mesaus.com (thanks John!). I disconnected the Sony controller & removed the Sony computer boards in the rear cabinet. I am currently wiring the 7i77 to the servos as we speak! Hopefully I will have this conversion done within the next week or so.

Those links are broken. What is the model of the servo drives? Is there a general connection diagram in the manual? That would be most helpful.

More
12 May 2016 13:05 #74547 by bevins
Found the manual. Looks like pin 2 of CN3 is your +-10v input the 7i77 will connect to. inputs look easy dry contact between SG and your inputs re: Servo On.

Looks like a pretty straight forward retrofit. Should be easy.

More
12 May 2016 13:08 #74548 by sticky
I just fixed the links (I forgot to upload the files to the server...oops). The servo drives are Mitsubishi MR-J2-40A1 for the X & Y and MR-J2-20A1 for the Z. Yes, the manual seems to have a pretty detailed pin layout.

More
12 May 2016 13:42 #74549 by sticky

Found the manual. Looks like pin 2 of CN3 is your +-10v input the 7i77 will connect to. inputs look easy dry contact between SG and your inputs re: Servo On.

Looks like a pretty straight forward retrofit. Should be easy.

CN3... that's interesting. None of the servos in mine had a cable connected to their CN3 previously. CN1A & CN1B both went straight to a Sony computer board in the back of the box. The limit switches, pendant & estop button connected to this Sony board as well as the main Sony controller. It was my understanding that all the inputs & outputs for the servos were on CN1A & CN1B & the old Sony board in the rear cabinet essentially did what the 7i77 is going to do now. I saw CN3 as more of a diagnostic port for the PC.

Are you saying you can just wire the 7i77 to the CN3 & bypass CN1A & CN1B?

More
12 May 2016 14:13 #74553 by Todd Zuercher
No, the analog on CN3 is an analog output of the motor speed (think syntetic tack out put.) All the connections to the 7i77 would be from CN1A and CN1B. (just like the old control).

More
13 May 2016 02:03 - 13 May 2016 02:06 #74577 by bevins
oops sorry, CN1 I meant.

CN1A for the encoders to 7i77 and CN1B has the drive enable, E-stop, and position copmmand from 7i77
Last edit: 13 May 2016 02:06 by bevins.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds