Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
25 Jan 2020 18:16 #155743 by RotarySMP
I cleaned out the drain. There is is 90° elbow at the chip pan, which had clogged up with swarf. Not a great place for an elbow.

I was just going to start repeating Hanno's measurements, and was jogging down when the MAHO E-Stopped with MESA 7i84 communication errors.

CR2 on the 7i84 is not illuminated, so I have lost 5V VIN. The 5V PSU is working, so just need to shoot the wiring to find out where that pipe is blocked. Probably another elbow.
MRK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2020 20:07 - 25 Jan 2020 20:07 #155752 by tommylight

........ so just need to shoot the wiring ...........

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Hang it, hang it ! :)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2020 20:07 by tommylight.

More
28 Jan 2020 07:54 - 28 Jan 2020 07:57 #155980 by RotarySMP
Yesterday I received a present from Hanno. Much appreciated. He sent a ring light made specifically to fit the MAHO. It is fantastic, really bright. I shot some video and will edit it and up load it this week. Thanks Hanno.

Needed to lower the Z axis to install the light, which forced me to troubleshoot the Mesa 7i84 card not being powered fault. Turns out, the 5V rail was a red herring. I don't supply the 7i84 with 5V VIN. It makes it's own from 24V field power. The 24V input pins were reading 0v. The Mesa cards are hung on the one (of three) 24V rails which is always powered, not E-Stopped. That is between terminals 202 and 203.

Ignore that red circle.

A quick look showed cricuit breaker 6F2 popped. Shut down the machine, reset the breaker and powered back up. The CB popped again after about 20 seconds.

Since the system has worked for a year without problem, I thought about what I changed to screw it up (important aspect of troubleshooting that one). I'd added the tool length sensor, in that circuit, and it worked fine, but it's temorarily routed cable had got snagged at the end of the last job. So that tool length sensor got disconnected, the CB 6F2 reset, and it seems to be working normally again.

Maybe the bodged up wiring extension on the tool length sensor caused a short. I need to check into that, but was too busy installing the light yesterday to persue that.
Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 07:57 by RotarySMP.

More
28 Jan 2020 08:39 #155982 by J Green
Hi Mark
Good to hear the 24 volt supply problem was a easy one to find. An nice that Maho used many circuit breakers throughout the electrical system. Breakers are a expensive up front cost but sure cheap when time to localize a problem circuit is considered.

The return coolant plug --- I looked at those fabed up elbows on the clean out hatch of the MH600E and thought this must be a lowest bidder item. Time to fire up your foundry an pour a replacement.
Cheers
Bob

More
29 Jan 2020 18:06 - 29 Jan 2020 18:07 #156099 by RotarySMP
I am not going to replace that elbow any time soon. Just clean it out 1x year.

I uploaded the video of installing the LED ring light which Hanno graciously donated to the cause... Thanks Hanno, it is much appreciated.

Mark
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 18:07 by RotarySMP.

More
30 Jan 2020 06:36 #156144 by hanmon
Hi Mark,

WOW !
I didn't expect THAT !!!!!
My personal, professional unboxing video ;-)

There are a few things that can be improved with this construction.
I should have provided the LED-ring with a plug for easy removal. As I do not have any device that needs the anti-rotation mounting it was of no concern for me.
Plus the light color is really cold, which needs getting used to.
I have wired it to permanent 24V, 204 if I remember correctly.
I can provide the drawing, G-Code and Dimensions for the LED-ring that is available on ebay and aliexpress if someone wants to copy it.

Cheers

More
30 Jan 2020 11:01 #156157 by Clive S

I uploaded the video of installing the LED ring light which Hanno graciously donated to the cause... Thanks Hanno, it is much appreciated.

How about mounting the light ring with a male-female stud then you won't have to remove it for the tapping attachment .

Nice job by the way:)

More
09 Feb 2020 18:17 #156900 by RotarySMP
Thanks Clive.

I did some machining on the mini-lathe bed, and posted that into episode three of that build...

I measured the table before mounting the bed, and it was quite badly out of alignment. Loosened the table mount bolts and tweaked it back level in X. It leans forward a far bit in Y. Another scraping job on the horizon? Although I have also never checked the adjustment of the gibs either.

Setting up to machine the lathe feet was difficult, as they were too far apart to mill in one set up. The result was not great with nearly 60µm slope and variation.

Setting up to machine the tail stock clamping surface went better. Took about an hour and a search for my box of various shim stock, to get it close. I couldnt get it closer than about 15µm over 400mm. Was pretty happy with the result. It used to drive me nuts that the lever tail stock locking was always too loose or too tight. Given 0.8mm variation, that was no wonder.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Green

More
09 Feb 2020 19:13 #156901 by J Green
This is just great ---- Machining with the MAHO
Thanks Mark !
A great way to end the weekend , now if only age challenged Tony could share his material cutting skill.

Hanmon There is room here for you
What is happening in your neck of the woods ? Thought your LED Lighting is just Peachie

Bob

More
09 Feb 2020 19:57 #156902 by RotarySMP
Did you notice that I screwed up the program to cut the vee block? I typo'ed a G01 to a G0, so it only ran the first pass at the desired F450, and then ran all the other passes at F2500. Lucky the $10 chinese end mill was cooperative.

Did you guys watch Edge precision's latest video?

When he gouged the work with an erroneous plunge from the dove tail cutter, I felt like less of an idiot for all the cutters I have wrecked so far.
Mark

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds