Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
05 Dec 2018 11:54 - 05 Dec 2018 11:57 #121864 by drimaropoylos
In my ladder file, when the motion.spindle.speed.out.abs goes 0 the gearbox does not disengage the back gear it just lets the gears engaged, and only stops the motor.
John
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 11:57 by drimaropoylos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2018 12:14 #121865 by andypugh
What you should so is have motion.spindle-on as in input to your comp, and then an output (gearchange.0.spindle-on) as an output.

When you want to turn off the VFD then set the output to zero, otherwise pass-through the motion.spindle-on value.

To put it another way, halui.spindle-off is for stopping the spindle.
You want a slightly different signal that controls the VFD both for spindle on/off and for gearchanging.

More
05 Dec 2018 12:34 - 05 Dec 2018 13:04 #121866 by drimaropoylos

On a gearbox machine, it would be best to simply display current gearbox speed, and leave it alone when the machine stops. So what we now need is a work around the default behavour.

Just change the comp file so it ignores the 0 rpm speed, and make changes in the gears for a value of 1 rpm and higher.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 13:04 by drimaropoylos.

More
05 Dec 2018 13:13 - 05 Dec 2018 13:14 #121867 by RotarySMP
Thanks for your inputs and patience Andy and John.
The MAHO E series has no VFD. The gearbox provides the speed, the motor is just a simple 3ph constant speed motor controlled by relays.

What you should so is have motion.spindle-on as in input to your comp, and then an output (gearchange.0.spindle-on) as an output.

So you mean, give the gearbox.comp final control of the spindle relays? Sergey and I were also approaching that solution.

The Linuxcnc behaviour of commanding speed zero when you actually want spindle stop seems like a kludge up of two independant functions.

We decided to parse S0 as gearbox neutral based on the assumptions:
1/ Stopping the spindle was independant of speed (that assumption hasn't aged well).
2/ MAHO's gearbox provides a neutral position.
3/ Setting neutral is a safety benefit when you install a non-rotating tool in the spindle, such as a touch probe.

Currently we parse S>0 as 80rpm. but S=0 as neutral.

If I dump the neutral control, Johns suggestion is also attractively simple.

Those are all good suggestions you have given. I'll go through them with Sergey.
Mark
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 13:14 by RotarySMP.

More
05 Dec 2018 13:35 #121869 by drimaropoylos
I think the gcode to go to neutral is M40, I don’t know if linuxcnc has assignment to that mcode and how is possible to add that capability, but it will be the right way to go to neutral speed.
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
05 Dec 2018 14:06 #121871 by andypugh

TSo you mean, give the gearbox.comp final control of the spindle relays? Sergey and I were also approaching that solution.

Yes. I am fairly sure that my gearbox comp does that, and it will need to when I get round to adding on-the-fly gear changing. (I have electric clutches, so just need to make sure that the motor and spindle speeds are close before engaging the other gear. The idea is to only allow a gear change during a G0 move. But I have to consider how well that will work with facing cyles.)

The Linuxcnc behaviour of commanding speed zero when you actually want spindle stop seems like a kludge up of two independant functions.

I disagree. But halui.spindle-stop seems fairly explicit as a stop.

Bear in mind that the halui pins are intended for UI hook-up. ie on-screen buttons. You probably do want an on-screen button to both set the speed to zero and set is-on to false to allow for different HAL interfaces in various configs.

More
05 Dec 2018 14:38 - 05 Dec 2018 14:39 #121876 by RotarySMP
Have you posted the source to your gearbox.comp on github? It would be interesting for us to see where the solutions are similar and differ.

Regarding HALUI, I use gmoccapy, and also expected it to net into the halui pins, but Norbert has found a different solution to hook straight into linuxcnc without netting pins.
Mark
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 14:39 by RotarySMP.

More
05 Dec 2018 15:01 #121883 by drimaropoylos
Also you can always just place a bouton in the spindle control window for neutral and one for the brake. And connect them with the comp file.
John

More
06 Dec 2018 09:53 - 06 Dec 2018 09:55 #121936 by drimaropoylos
Hi, what do you guy’s thing, is it a good idea to put the vfd below the indramat. Or should I have to redo all the cabinet arrangement, rip off everything and wire everything from scratch with the idramat and vfd side by side.

The cooling unit is in the door in front of indramat and vfd

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2018 09:55 by drimaropoylos.

More
06 Dec 2018 10:51 #121942 by andypugh
The VFD manual will have specifications for the minimum spacing above and below (The Indramat probably also has, but that might be harder to find)

I think that as long as you stick to the required spacing it should be OK.

Though side-by-side would look more conventional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drimaropoylos

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds