Tool offsets

More
15 Jun 2018 12:06 #112398 by jools
Tool offsets was created by jools
Hi All
I recently bought a mill and have been using it in conjunction with Fusion 360. It works really well but I can't figure out tool offsets. I've got the offsets panel/window up with all our tools in it but it doesn't seem to work. After the roughing cut we have to manualy adjust the g code program so we can take the finishing cut to the correct size.

Cheers

Jools

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 16:31 #112416 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Tool offsets
Do you have your g-code set up to use tool offsets (g41,g42)
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g41-g42

More
19 Jun 2018 15:56 #112584 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool offsets
I think that Fusion typically does the tool diameter compensation in the CAM rather than in the controller (though this is a selectable option).

Which option are you using.

It would be nice to automatically synch the Fusion and LinuxCNC tool tables. I think that someone made a start at this but don't seem to be able to find anything at the moment.

More
19 Jun 2018 19:21 #112596 by jools
Replied by jools on topic Tool offsets
Thanks for the answers.

In terms of the G codes yes we were using the cutter compensation. That was for the main roughing cut, my problem is for the finishing cut.

In terms of Fusion we have the program cutting fine on the roughing cut but then for the finish we have to adjust the tool diameter in the tool table rather than just offsetting it. The issue with this way of doing it is that we're constantly adjusting tool diameter rather than setting stock tool diameters, it just seems a strange way to do it.

A real world example.
Say you want a pocket 50mm in diameter. You set it up in fusion leaving the tolerance for the finishing cut, say .2mm. You then measure the pocket and realise that it's left .22 mm on the cut so you need to run your finishing cut with an offset of .22 so that pocket is an exact size. To do that normally you run exactly the same program but just set your tool offset to .22 to compensate this.
At present you have to change the tool diameter to complete this or manually change all settings

More
19 Jun 2018 19:52 #112597 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool offsets
Isn't this a problem with your machine or your cutters rather than with LinuxCNC? (perhaps I am not understanding the problem).

Can you say what you _want_ to happen? Does the generated G-code contain G41 / G42 commands? Do you want it to?

I don't think that LinuxCNC could ever offset the tool independently of the CAM, it has no idea which side of the cutter the work is on.

(And this is true of any G-code interpreter)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds