Hybrid steppers or servos?

More
06 Sep 2020 11:10 #180960 by BeagleBrainz

I just bought a servo driver setup to use as a spindle on my mill. I went directly through DMM, and am really happy with their kit.
Just bear in mind depending on the driver you use there is a lot more in the way of filtering and other gubbons that is recommended before the power gets to the servo drive.

Sorry BeagleBrainz I had not read your message, and forgive me again because I do not understand absolutely anything of what you comment.
DMM, gubbons? Pardon my ignorance.

DMM = www.dmm-tech.com/

Gubbons = extra bits
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2020 12:04 #180968 by machinedude

I take note of Machinedude, in none of the ones I'm looking at does that info appear. What is your recommendation?

i would try and find the manufacturer website and see if you could find those torque speed charts first. i honestly think that's the first thing that you need to look at to see what kind of speeds you will be able to get out of the hardware you use in your controller. and if you decide to go with them get as close to the 60 V max of those drives to get the most out of them.

More
06 Sep 2020 12:09 #180970 by RoberCNC
Replied by RoberCNC on topic Hybrid steppers or servos?
I have done it but the info is the same, maybe I should change the manufactruer

More
06 Sep 2020 12:14 - 06 Sep 2020 12:15 #180974 by machinedude
the thing with stepper motors and the hybrid ones with an encoder are as the speed increases the holding torque drops of really fast at higher speeds. so knowing the torque speed curve is really important to design the drive end of the machine and gearing ratio to hit the sweet spots of the motors being used.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2020 12:15 by machinedude.

More
06 Sep 2020 12:25 #180980 by RoberCNC
I understand, you mean something like this, right?
The more I read the more I get discouraged, it turns out that the main obstacle I have with the nema 23 frame for both the closed loop and the servos, in the best case it would be to change the complete one or even go to a transmission with sprockets and pulley .

I am not sure if I deserve that investment for this machine :(
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2020 12:32 #180985 by machinedude
yes that is the information you would need to have. that particular one shows what i am getting at. on this one you might be looking at up to 500 to 700 rpm then you get into lost steps trying to push it beyond that.

it just depends on the size of the machines and what you want to get out of it in the end? i think most of the low end stuff will get 100 IPM or close to that but that's just a hobby level set up which could be all you are after?

More
06 Sep 2020 12:43 #180988 by Mike_Eitel
Sorry Robert but some silly questions

What is your problem
1. Do you need more speed for a. cutting or b. fast positioning
2. Do you have stalling

Mike

More
06 Sep 2020 12:48 #180989 by machinedude
one other thing to note is that chart you posted is in N cm so for that particular motor it's peak torque is 2.76 N m so the rated torque would probably be far less than that. all the stuff from China is confusing honestly the documentation is sketchy at best. so you need to know what to look for so you don't end up with something ill suited for the task. once you buy it your kinda stuck with it so i would use some care in picking components.

More
06 Sep 2020 13:28 #180999 by RoberCNC

Sorry Robert but some silly questions

What is your problem
1. Do you need more speed for a. cutting or b. fast positioning
2. Do you have stalling

Mike

Hi Mike, my main problem is that on several occasions I have detected variations between the design measurements of the parts and the machined parts and I suspect that it is due to the motors, since they are simply steppers. I just wanted to improve it in that sense thinking that it would be an easier task. But given that it is the first machine that I manufacture, that I have made many mistakes, both designing it and in the choice of components, the list of improvements that I would have pending and that things are not as I thought ... With what you are teaching me and the mistakes made I think it is much smarter to make another from scratch than to invest more time and money in this one.

So I'll put money in a better head (for tool capacity) and it will stay that way.

More
06 Sep 2020 14:09 #181008 by Mike_Eitel
I would not say your todays machine is not improvable...
You can become unpercise by mecanical plays. Only you can proove...

And you can have a "force" problem. These are the motors. But also there:
1. You need more force for cutting = bad luck, maybe solvable by tynier cuts.
2. You try to accelerate to much. Either when you have a direction change while cutting or mostly i would guess when go into fast move. I would try to cut down my acceleration first.
Mike

As you can see

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds