Newbie trying to set up and test run milling machine

More
13 Apr 2021 00:10 - 13 Apr 2021 00:18 #205749 by tml
Hi folks,

I've been working on a CNC conversion for a small bench top milling machine for a while. I've now finally finished up configuring LinuxCNC on my PC, for the Mesa board. Each machine's axis can now be moved, or jogged from the Axis GUI. So everything seems to be in the right working order.

I want to load up a simple test program to see how the machine runs. Is there a simple program sample included in LinuxCNC I can use to do this task? What are the basic steps in getting the machine to operate? I still yet to have any experience with a CNC type machine and its operation, which is what made me decide to do the conversion so I would have a learning platform to practice on.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 00:18 by tml.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2021 01:05 #205753 by BeagleBrainz
Get your hands on "CNC In the Workshop" by Marcus Bowman and checkout his website
www.cncintheworkshop.com/Home.html

Hi book is pretty much machine agnostic but does included some of the differences between Mach & Linuxcnc. His website also contains download links for articles he has written for MEW.

More
13 Apr 2021 12:24 #205779 by andypugh

I want to load up a simple test program to see how the machine runs. Is there a simple program sample included in LinuxCNC I can use to do this task?.

Well, you can run the LinuxCNC logo splash screen, a lot of people do.

The there should be several sample file in your ~/linuxcnc/nc_files directory.

In most cases you will need to home the machine first, then touch-off the axes to set the working coordinates origin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tml

More
04 Jun 2021 17:42 #211171 by tml
Something I've been thinking about is the backlash compensation. I remember when I went through my LinuxCNC's mill configuration setup, I did put in some value for that to account for the backlash in my machine. My machine use lead screws so there is some small amount of mechanical backlash in all axes.

When I get a g code file processed from a CAD/CAM software like Fusion 360, and run the program on my machine, does LinuxCNC automatically know to compensate for backlash for all the applicable tool paths for improved accuracy? Or do I need to make modification to the g code file for the machine to do that?

More
04 Jun 2021 19:14 - 04 Jun 2021 19:16 #211173 by OT-CNC
Linuxcnc will compensate not the cam software.
I would remove backlash as much as possible mechanically. If you can't fit ballscrews, split nuts or cast moglice nuts can work okay. I assume even with compensation, pockets will have flats at the quadrant transitions if there is slop in the mechanics.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2021 19:16 by OT-CNC. Reason: added more

More
06 Jun 2021 22:39 #211367 by BigJohnT
You could generate a facing program using my G code Generator and soon generate a pocket.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gcode/index.html

JT

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds