Using factory RPM sensor/encoder

More
11 Jan 2022 14:53 #231449 by jlm123
Hello:

I am currently in the process of converting a PM-940V to a CNC machine.    Is it possible to use the factory spindle sensor as the spindle encoder, and is it possible to have it send data to the factory rpm display and the mesa board simultaneously?

Machine specs:
Mesa 7i76e board
Stepperonline CL-86Y drivers and motors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2022 19:19 #231474 by robertspark
is it an encoder or an rpm (single pulse per rev pulse) sensor?

do you have a photo of the sensor 

More
11 Jan 2022 19:50 #231477 by jlm123
I can get photos over the weekend.  

I'm not sure what type of sensor it is.

More
11 Jan 2022 21:02 #231480 by robertspark
a photo will help as there is quite a difference from an encoder to a simple rpm sensor.  

the encoder will provide the exact position and the rpm sensor just 1 pulse per rev.

it may be possible to share a common sensor but you will need to find out some details on the sensor (such as it's output signal voltage, 5v, 12v ????)

if it were me, I'd use a couple of simple circuits so that the input impedance of the two devices is not an issue.

more details required first

More
31 Jan 2022 15:57 #233645 by jlm123
So I'm going to use a hall-effect switch as my rpm sensor. The spindle has 4 magnets on it (I decided to not use the factory one so I can keep the factory display and to not have weird multiple supply issues)

I'll update again after this weekend,.

More
03 Oct 2022 19:39 #253374 by jlm123
Ok, maybe not update that weekend.....

I ended up gluing a magnet to the spindle for the sensor (so there are separate sensors for the mill display and the CNC computer)

I've recently replaced the computer and switched to probe basic, so now I have to get Probe Basic to see the sensor speed (had it working in QTDragon)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds