PCI Parallel card compatibility

More
07 Jan 2010 12:28 #1465 by anshuman
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and it is not able to detect the PCI Parallel card from TAG. Is it incompatible with Ubuntu 8.04? If so, please suggest me a PCI parallel cards which are compatible.

Regards,

Anshuman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2010 23:11 #1468 by Andy123
this one with dual port works:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104231

Technically any MOSCHIP based card will work

More
08 Jan 2010 08:27 #1473 by anshuman
I see. The PCI card I have now has CH351L chip on it. Do you have any previous experience with that?

More
08 Jan 2010 22:56 #1478 by Andy123
Go to card or chip manufacturer site to see if they have Linux driver

More
11 Jan 2010 08:24 #1488 by anshuman
Yes, they do have Linux drivers but if Ubuntu is not detecting the PCI parallel port itself, are the drivers of any use?

More
28 Jul 2010 08:52 #3506 by edgecombe_r
Did this problem get resolved - and if so how? I find I have the same PCI-parallel chip - and the same problem.

thanks for any information

rde

More
06 Aug 2010 15:39 - 06 Aug 2010 15:50 #3607 by ArcEye
Hi

I have recently set up a second computer in my workshop, entailing setting up parports and found some surprising anomalies re PCI parport cards.

The computers are both Fujitsu Seimens Scenic P4 slim desktops. The old one is a 2.4 Mhz and the new 2.8Mhz.
As far as one can tell they have exactly the same BIOS

Computer One.

On the old computer, a Moschip 9845 chipped PCI card works perfectly in 'input' EPP mode with pins 2-9 set as inputs and this is what I use for my MPG pendant.
I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it to work, I won't go into them too deeply as they are discussed in the emc-users lists, but this involved writing directing to a bit on the card to switch on EPP, writing 1 to the 'enable' file in /sys/bus/pci/devices/xxxxxxxxx and loading parport_pc before emc to set up the card.then taking out the modules again.
Once working it continued to work without repeating these steps.

I tried a SIIG card with an Oxford chipset and a Sun1888 card on this computer and could only use them in 'out' mode ie pins 1-9 as outputs.
The SIIG card works perfectly for input under XP, but will not do so under Linux despite others saying that it works fine.
The Sun1888 base card would not work for input under XP either.

Computer Two.

I could not get the Moschip card to work in input mode no matter what I did.

The Sun1888 based card worked perfectly, first time, in 'input mode' under Linux without any tinkering.

The SIIG card would only work for input under XP.

I was not expecting this. I deliberately chose the new computer, because of how stable the old one was and being familiar with it, thought it would much simplify setup.
I have not gone into the nth degree checking what could cause the differences, perhaps a slightly different PCI chipset on the later one?
Even more strangely, the latency of the 2.4Mhz computer far exceeds that of the 2.8Mhz, to the extent that I have had to reduce the servo and base threads by 50% to get emc to run properly on the new computer.

So the moral of this?
A PCI parport card that will work on your computer under Linux, may not work on someone else's, even if they seem the same and vice versa.

Don't suppose that cheers you any!

regards

ArcEye

PS Neither of these computers, which are quite old technology, have ever failed to recognise a PCI card, even if I could not switch the parport cards over to 'input'.
My Intel Quad Core tower indoors however, has done so to two other PCI interface cards, which worked perfectly on an older computer.
Is this relevant to your situation?
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 15:50 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds