Process did not claim interface 0 before use

More
17 Jun 2013 22:44 #35743 by beltramidave

I am having trouble with a touch screen installation. Something is using up memory very quickly and a check of the log files, there appears to be at least 3 log files outputting the same message (see attachment) constantly and within a couple of hours they can consume 6GB or more of space. The touch screen is a Elo 1515L, it is a usb device and I am using a purchased driver from a company called Touch Base as I was having difficulties with the Elo driver and Elo tech support said to try it. I am having no problems in the operation of the touch screen or running Linuxcnc. In fact if I would not have gotten a low memory space alert, I would not have known anything was wrong.

I have been in contact with touch base and they seem to think it has something to do with usbfs and it being mounted. Their last comment was as follows:

"We are not in a position to comment on why it is that usbfs appears to be
mounted on this system and if it is necessary.
We cannot comment on the viability of removing it as we don't have the
knowledge of the target system and we don't know how they enabled it."

At present, my customer is using a standard monitor and mouse with no issues (other than he wants a touch screen). Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 00:11 #35747 by cncbasher
I think this is for a usb filesystem ... so look down that root . you may be logging usb or using usb services you don't need ..

More
18 Jun 2013 00:28 #35748 by beltramidave
Not sure how to tell what I need or how to prevent them. The touch panel is usually the only USB device connected. I am also using a usb port for the 5V power supply to my breakout board in my controller. I have a usb mouse and keyboard that are only used for easier program editing, but they are not normally plugged in.

All I can find for info on the net is that usbfs is not normally mounted anymore. Just not sure how this all works and how it affects Linuxcnc. Does it need to be mounted or not? How do I know if it is and how do I change? So many questions and so few answers.

Thanks

More
18 Jun 2013 05:47 #35760 by BigJohnT
The only touch screens I've been successful installing in Ubuntu 10.04 is ELO IntelliTouch. I've tried one different ELO technology and never could get it to work.

JT

More
18 Jun 2013 09:43 - 18 Jun 2013 09:44 #35769 by beltramidave
John,
I am using the exact model that you have as I took that information from one of my other posts. I don't have any functional issues with the working of the touch screen. I am just having issues with something eating up memory constantly until it is gone. The logged message in the above post is the culprit, I just don't know what to do about it.
Thanks
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 09:44 by beltramidave.

More
18 Jun 2013 13:41 - 18 Jun 2013 18:21 #35771 by ArcEye
Hi
What distro are you running?

usbfs was disabled after Ubuntu 9.04, so should not be present in 10.04

What happens if you just kill the process?
ie kill 1186
or whatever the process number is.

If that does not have unwanted side effects dig through /etc/init.d and the likes
to find where it is being loaded and remove it.

I'll have a dig through stuff on usbfs a bit later when I am back at a computer
(on my phone)

regards
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 18:21 by ArcEye.

More
18 Jun 2013 17:56 - 18 Jun 2013 17:58 #35777 by BigJohnT

John,
I am using the exact model that you have as I took that information from one of my other posts. I don't have any functional issues with the working of the touch screen. I am just having issues with something eating up memory constantly until it is gone. The logged message in the above post is the culprit, I just don't know what to do about it.
Thanks

I used the instructions on this page to install my touch screen driver. Seems like I found at least a couple of ways to set it up but none worked except evtouch driver.

Edit: I'm also using the LiveCD install of LinuxCNC, don't know if that makes any difference or not.

JT
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 17:58 by BigJohnT.

More
18 Jun 2013 18:52 #35778 by ArcEye
Hi

After some research I found that the (tbupddwu) in your screen message is the touch screen driver from Touch Base
www.touch-base.com/documentation/LinuxPlatformNotes.htm

The error logging problem you have, has occurred to other people.
The cause in that case being a USB printer driver for a Lexmark, that just filled syslog with errors until it occupied the whole HDD
The print out in this link should look very familiar.
askubuntu.com/questions/184949/how-do-i-...he-size-of-my-syslog

The driver seems to use libusb which is not normally installed, so that is probably where the usbfs bit of the message comes from.
If you look in /lib/modules/2.6.32-122/kernel/fs/ that should be where the usbfs kernel module is, if present.
It is not present in a normal 10.04 distro

After the helpful words from Touch Base, I would be tempted to try again to get it working with alternative drivers :P

regards

More
18 Jun 2013 20:34 #35783 by beltramidave
Thanks for all the reply's on this subject. I am running 10.04LTS. I had seen that posting on the Lexmark while searching for answers. I think maybe I should first try purging and reinstalling the touch screen driver and see if that works. I hate to not use the driver as it was not cheap ( I know, I should not have had to pay for a driver to make this work). I am supposed to have tech support on this, but they have kind of left me hanging at the moment.

ArcEye, what exactly am I looking for in /lib/modules/2.6.32-122/kernel/fs/? And if it is there and I don't want it there, then what do I do?

Do you think a viable temporary solution would be to set up logrotate to rotate my logs when they reach say 2GB until I can find a solution? Will this more frequent rotating cause any side effects to the rest of the system? I would like to have my customer using the touchscreen instead of a monitor and mouse.

I will have to do more research on logrotate. I have 3 log files that are filling up, would I have to set these up individually or is there one place to set it up based on file size?

Thanks

More
18 Jun 2013 21:54 #35784 by ArcEye

ArcEye, what exactly am I looking for in /lib/modules/2.6.32-122/kernel/fs/? And if it is there and I don't want it there, then what do I do?

I would expect a directory called /usbfs and a file within it called usbfs.ko

You can look in /lib/modules/2.6.32-122/modules.dep
Search for usbfs and you should find what calls it, or is dependent on it if it is present

You could try moving the whole /usbfs sub dir somewhere else, cd ing to /lib/modules/2.6.32-122/ and running depmod -a to reset modules.dep
and then reboot and see if there is a complaint from the touch screen driver and whether it works.

Regards logrotate, this seems a pretty good guide
articles.slicehost.com/2010/6/30/underst...ate-on-ubuntu-part-1

You should be able to set the size not to exceed and a default hourly rotate with only 1 older copy being retained, which will cut down things a lot.
It is not ideal solution however, hopefully the driver removal and re-installation may do something

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: beltramidave

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds