Mini-PCIE cards fighting over resources/alternativ

More
27 Aug 2013 13:33 - 27 Aug 2013 13:41 #38135 by greenbuggy
Seems like one step forwards, two steps back...

After my recent thread asking about why a USB-Parallel converter wouldn't work to take MPG input, I found a seller on ebay selling mini-PCIE cards that had a single parallel and serial port output for a reasonable price, since this seemed like it would simplify my life I bought one, installed it in the second mini PCIE slot and then...spent the next several hours trying to figure out why a supposedly PNP card wouldn't show up. My Bios has astonishingly little in the way of resource allocation settings so I am pulling my hair out trying to get the new card to work.

Finally pulled a trick out of my "old PC tricks" bag and swapped the mini-pcie wireless card for the ser/parport card and Bam! Got myself a parallel port. Now no wireless, but at least I've got a working MPG, right?

My cnc has a WTM D28 mobo with an intel atom 1.8 processor, 2g ram, onboard video, only accessories are the wifi card, the startech serial-parport card and my Mesa 5i20 (PCI). I'm running the latest updated LinuxCNC on Ubuntu 10.04

Here's a link to the Parport card: www.ebay.com/itm/390630814347

Any ideas to get the wireless card and the parallel card to play nice? If not, are there any USB wifi adapters that are known to work easily with LinuxCNC?

This mill isn't in a place where ethernet would be convenient to string to and I don't want to have to open the cabinet to pop in a thumb drive when I want to download a program from my laptop.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 13:41 by greenbuggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 15:55 #38137 by ArcEye
Hi

It sounds like an IRQ conflict, where both cards are trying to use the same interrupt

If your BIOS allows it, you can pre-set the IRQs rather than have them automatically assigned at boot.
Then you can make sure they have different interrupts, but you need to be careful re your other devices or you could end up
with a non-booting computer

regards

More
23 Dec 2019 16:51 #153119 by tommylight
@ alanboo
NO SPAM!

More
24 Dec 2019 21:52 #153172 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: greenbuggy

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds