Will it run on an Intel NUC?

More
09 Oct 2013 15:51 #39678 by more10
I want to install on an Intel NUC . Will it run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 20:16 #39693 by andypugh

I want to install on an Intel NUC . Will it run?

LinuxCNC will almost certainly install and run.
www.itpro.co.uk/644617/intel-next-unit-o...-nuc-review/page/0/2
Says that Ubuntu is supported, and the CPU is completely standard to run LinuxCNC on.

However, I don't see any way to use it to control hardware. LinuxCNC can control hardware through the parallel port, ethernet port, PCI slot, PCI-express, cabled PCi-express or ISA port.
The NUC does not have _any_ of these.

More
09 Oct 2013 20:32 #39694 by andypugh

However, I don't see any way to use it to control hardware. LinuxCNC can control hardware through the parallel port, ethernet port, PCI slot, PCI-express, cabled PCi-express or ISA port.
The NUC does not have _any_ of these.

I should know better than to trust the Internet without checking in more than one place.
www.quietpc.com/intel-nuc?gclid=CPGxm5ftiboCFcm23godr0cALw
clearly shows an Ethernet port, so there is some chance of using one of the Ethernet-connected IO cards. (though support is still experimental)

I guess it might also be possible to convert between mini-PCI-express to cabled-PCI-express (I am never sure how to disinguish between those in acronymns)

More
09 Oct 2013 22:15 #39698 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Will it run on an Intel NUC?
Hi

The problem with the NUC is expansion. As it has not got anything much that is required, you are going to have to make stuff work whichever way you can.

I am unclear from the blurb if it has SATA on board. I think the answer is no and this is what one the mini PCI-e slots is intended for connecting via a header cable to the rear plate.
The other slot appears to be intended for a wifi card
So on the face of it it has no storage, save USB, no ports or GPIO, just ethernet.

The Intel HD 4000 video chip sounds good in the blurb, but you will need a newer kernel before drivers are available for Linux. There are not any in the current distribution.

I am sure it would make the basis of a good media server / streamer, but you could buy something much nearer the requirements for Linuxcnc for far less

I suspect what appeals is the size.

If so this is exactly the same size and does work, it has a parallel port and 24 pin GPIO
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...er-port?limitstart=0

I have even produced a pre-built disk image for it
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...pre-built-disk-image

regards

More
10 Oct 2013 05:59 #39716 by more10
Replied by more10 on topic Will it run on an Intel NUC?
Thanks for your help.

I have decided on an Intel DN2800MT . It has been used with Linux CNC. I will try to install Debian 7.1 with RT patches. The board has an onboard parallel port. I will use it with my Lillasyster:

using the breakoutlight r1b:

I´ll start a new thread with my experiences.

More
10 Oct 2013 06:17 #39720 by andypugh

I have decided on an Intel DN2800MT .

I have one of those. It works well, and the 12V power supply is handy.

The only drawback is the graphics. I seem to recall that the LinuxCNC LiveCD works fine, but the Lubuntu LiveCD puts up all the text 4 pixels high (literally, there are not enough pixels to read even with a magnifying glass).
This is plugged into my TV. You may find that things are better with a proper monitor.

The test size issue might only arise with 12.04 or later, if you do find the problem then the place to fix it is in the lightdm dpi setting:
askubuntu.com/questions/72486/can-i-pass...the-proper-dpi-for-x

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds