thoughts on motherboard processor combo

More
22 Oct 2013 19:42 - 22 Oct 2013 19:44 #40167 by acecore
Just looking for some thoughts on this mobo combo. Can anyone find any issues i may have with it? checked the cnc latency site and the board is'nt listed.
www.maplin.co.uk/msi-e350-apu-amd-fusion...therboard-kit-652617

Sorry forgot to add ill be using this to retro fit a bridgeport mill using mesa 5i25-7i77
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 19:44 by acecore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2013 22:21 #40175 by ArcEye
Hi

Looks like the AMD equivilent to the Intel Atom, similar specs on quite a few things.
However 3 PCI slots (2 PCIe) and proper parport, not a header.

The graphics chip may not be supported with an open source driver until at least kernel 3.1 and above (min Ubuntu 12.11 with upgrade or 13)
The proprietary AMD/ATI driver fglrx has been linked to latency problems in the past

Sorry forgot to add ill be using this to retro fit a bridgeport mill using mesa 5i25-7i77

If this means hardware step generation or servos, it may do you fine, latency is not really an issue in that case.

Until someone tries one, just guessing

regards

More
23 Oct 2013 17:38 #40221 by andypugh

checked the cnc latency site and the board is'nt listed

It certainly seems inexpensive enough, given that memory is included. But it seems like you have to be the guinea-pig.
The only way that it could be better is if it was 12V suppply rather than ATX PSU.

Note that with 4GB of memory there is a change that the Ubuntu installer will throw away the realtime kernel and replace it with a large-memory kernel (without realtime)
(Not a huge problem, just something to be aware of if you find that LinuxCNC doesn't seem to work)

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds