C7 with high jitter or P4 with low?

More
05 Dec 2013 03:54 #41340 by coyoteboy
I have just been building up my controller and intended to run a P4 which I have returning overnight jitter values <6K with glxgears running. Was all set for this, then found an old C7 fanless board that would fit inside my controller box. But it doesn't seem toget better than 42K jitter values with the same torture testing.

Do you think the increased potential step frequency is worth having a second box and system running over a nice compact fanless setup at 1/10th the power consumption? Personal preference I guess but I'd like to hear other's views.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2013 12:15 #41350 by Todd Zuercher
Personally, if you are software stepping I think you'll want the faster machine. If you go with hardware stepping (think Mesa 5i25) then you could go greener.

More
05 Dec 2013 17:31 #41352 by ArcEye
Hi

For software stepping 6K is excellent and 42K is next to useless.

Don't see why having the board inside your controller is better, you still need a mouse, keyboard and monitor, so will have 3 extra cables coming out of the controller box instead of just one D25 parport cable
and will be restricted in terms of remoting these from your machine by cable length.

Unless you were going to run headless, in which case the poor board would be doing all the work and the good one just providing graphics and a HID interface, still not the right way.

regards

More
05 Dec 2013 22:01 #41356 by coyoteboy
Yeah, you're both right - I have the hardware so I might as well run the faster machine. I actually saw a 11K spike on the fast machine overnight, related to the initiation of the openGL screensaver (though not the running of it), but I'll disable screen savers anyway and fix my limit to 12K for safety.

Thanks folks!

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds