Parallel Port issue!

More
11 Dec 2013 01:01 #41477 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Parallel Port issue!
Nothing attached, change the extension to .txt to make sure it is accepted

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2013 04:36 #41651 by ikb123
Replied by ikb123 on topic Parallel Port issue!
Back again!
The first attachment is from the Shuttle. The second attachment is from an Acer tower which has the EMC2 OS installed alongside Windows XP. When running Windows with Foamworks the parallel port runs. tp me this proves that ther eis a functional Parallel Port. Hou can see owever when MEMC" is powered up the port is dead. As you can see the sudo rmmod statements come up clear when the order is changed re earlier suggestion, I can't check them by running ps-A more as I can't generate the symbol between the spaces the Acer tower or this laptop. On the Shuttle I pressed Alt Gr plusThe key next to the !/1.
Needles to say no output from the port on the port still. This is definitely to do with the individual machines as (and this might be evidence of this) i have the port operating on a really ancient IBM desktop.
Ah well...
Regards
Ken
PS problems with attachments due to Luddite syndrome on her ladyships W7.

More
17 Dec 2013 05:14 #41656 by ikb123
The attachments on my last message were meant for this one.
I set up an Acer tower with EMC2 running alongside XP. The parallel port worked on the XP OS running Foamworks. PP dead on EMC2 though.This is strange as I have had the ports working on a couple of old IBM desktops. I ran the sudo rmmod gimos but the AltGr plus !/1 keying just produced a bleep on the tower and this laptop. It worked on the Shuttle though as can be seen in attachment. So I couldn't check it with the ps -A more check. Ah well!
Regards
Ken

File Attachment:

File Name: Monday16thParport.txt
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2013 16:43 - 17 Dec 2013 16:44 #41684 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Parallel Port issue!
Hi

This fast getting confusing, because you are mentioning lots of computers, by manufacturers name only.

Just stick with one computer, the 'Acer tower' and tell me exactly what it is, processor, chipset, RAM , which version of emc you installed and what version of Ubuntu etc
(if necessary get the info from windoze system info)

Next need to know what port address you are trying to connect to ( attach a zip of your config folder for the config you are trying to run) and need the error messages produced by EMC, not just 'PP dead on EMC2 though'.

If you are not getting any error messages, EMC is starting but nothing moves, the problem could be something completely different.
(run the command from a terminal to get all the messages)

regards
Last edit: 17 Dec 2013 16:44 by ArcEye.

More
19 Dec 2013 02:50 #41787 by ikb123
OK sorry about that I will stick with the Acer and set aside the time doing the things you suggest. Need to stop jumping from job to job. Thanks for bearing with me.
Regards
Ken

More
19 Dec 2013 23:17 #41835 by ikb123
Flash of brilliance, serendipity or operator error' You tell me...
Powering up the Acer prior to going through the process I stumbled on a window under system which looked like it could have something to do with the printer port and ticked the un-ticked box. Good news the parallel port now works. Bad news I can't find that window again and would have liked to try it out on the Shuttle. I have to take a break now until after Xmas when I will attack the Shuttle again.
Thanks again and seasonal greetings
Ken

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds