More
08 Dec 2014 08:46 #53803 by cmtunnel
pc recommendation was created by cmtunnel
I had this pc quoted from lxcomputer:

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core AM3+ Processor
AMD COPPER / THERMALTAKE HIGH PERFORMANCE COOLING FAN
ZEROtherm Advanced ZT100 Thermal Grease
PROFESSIONAL WIRING
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 Socket AM3+/ AMD 990X/ Quad CrossFireX & Quad SLI / A&GbE/ SATA3&USB3.0/ ATX Motherboard
4GB (1 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Dual Channel
(1X) MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS
CORSAIR 60GB Solid State Drive SATA III
24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW
ATI RADEON HD 6570 1GB DDR3 DVI/HDMI/VGA VIDEO CARD
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Antec NEW SOLUTION SERIES VSK-4000 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ANTEC COOLING PACKAGE
ANTEC 450 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE POWER SUPPLY
3-Year Limited Warranty Plan with Lifetime of free USA based Support...Custom Hand Wiring For Ultimate Air Flow, Assembled in Cleveland, Ohio, USA
FED-EX GROUND SHIPPING (1-7 BUSINESS DAYS)

I asked for a pc with good latency.....note the solid state hard drive..................comments??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2014 17:38 #53809 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic pc recommendation
Hi

I am sure it is a very good fast computer, but computer sellers know nothing about realtime latency, so are either misunderstanding the question or just bullshitting if they told you it has low latency.

It is completely over spec for a machine controller computer, 3 too many cores and an ATI card which could kill latency on its own.

The only thing near the spec required is the SSD, which is very small by contemporary specs.
I didn't know you could still buy them that small, I normally see 128 as a minimum size available.

The answer is you won't know until you try it

You can take a punt or go for a J1800 / J1900 based system which have been quite well tested by PCW and others and do return good latency

regards

More
08 Dec 2014 22:15 #53820 by cmtunnel
Replied by cmtunnel on topic pc recommendation
.Ok that's what i was looking for. Just want something that works well....and the cheaper the better. I'll take a look at the J systems. thanks.

More
09 Dec 2014 01:33 #53832 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic pc recommendation
Passive cooling / no fan is an advantage in a machine controller too. The only moving parts in my Mill controller are relays and the fan in the VFD.

60GB is plenty for a controller, though. In fact 8GB is more than enough.

More
09 Dec 2014 02:55 #53833 by cmtunnel
thanks alot! I think I'm going to go ahead and build a new pc and I'll use the old one to learn hal in the meantime hopefully. Any info. on hardware that would work well is appreciated. I'd like to get something that is already well known by the linuxcnc crowd. Any info. on building the pc is also certainly welcome. Thank you.

More
10 Dec 2014 12:34 #53860 by accuartisans
Replied by accuartisans on topic pc recommendation
As Andy stated the new J1800/1900 boards seems to work well. I am currently building mine based on the Gigabyte J1800N-D2H motherboard running Debian jessie (3.14.12 rt preempt kernel) that I built. I'm using rt preempt cause it's the only real time that supports the ether-net Mesa boards (at least as far I know). I'll get this entered on the motherboard list soon.

FYI, if you get the Gigabyte motherboard, be sure to get the right voltage memory! Not sure but I think this goes for all J1800/1900 boards.

More
10 Dec 2014 23:17 #53874 by cmtunnel
what's your plan for video?

More
10 Dec 2014 23:34 #53875 by ArcEye

what's your plan for video?

As far as I am aware the on board video works fine for Linuxcnc usage

Also re Gigabyte boards, be aware these were the ones which shipped with a BIOS which only recognised windoze 8 and could not see Linux partitions at all.
There was an BIOS update available which fixed that bit, but personally I would go a long way not to use anything from Gigabyte.

More
11 Dec 2014 22:09 #53922 by cmtunnel
I was planning on using Asus unless someone says no. If someone can recommend an exact board I would appreciate it ( not a pc guru). Everything I've read says stay away from onboard video and I've only seen the J boards with one pci slot so far but I haven't dug deep yet. Anyway I want to get something ordered soon but I need to spend more time looking or just order what someone here recommends (preferred). I feel more comfortable just ordering a pc exactly like someone elses that all the components are known to work. I know that there's probably not a cure-all pc for everything but I figure I may as well shoot for the bullseye. Thanks.

More
11 Dec 2014 22:37 #53926 by ArcEye
These are posts with boards that PCW recommended recently

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...port?start=140#53404

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...commendations#52262-

If they are Gigabyte and he says they work well, then ignore my prejudices, I had a very bad experience with them a long while ago and don't touch them that's all.

Asus are good, but do have a nasty habit of using bleeding edge ethernet, wireless, video, sound, mousepads etc that often are not supported immediately in the Linuxcnc distros
(the Debian one should be OK because it is quite recent, but do check)

regards

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds