ARM and EMC

More
17 May 2010 04:11 #2880 by MicroMinded
ARM and EMC was created by MicroMinded
Has anybody tried running EMC on an ARM based system? I have seen several dev kits at 800MHz, 256MB RAM, 128MB ROM, sd, usb, and large touch screens. I thought it would be a perfect fit for a machine.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2010 16:27 #2886 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:ARM and EMC
MicroMinded wrote:

Has anybody tried running EMC on an ARM based system? I have seen several dev kits at 800MHz, 256MB RAM, 128MB ROM, sd, usb, and large touch screens. I thought it would be a perfect fit for a machine..

I see that RTAI runs on ARM, so it should be possible to make it work, but it sounds like an awful lot of work.

The Atom330 micro-ITX boards are a much more straightforward proposition (lots of people have already used them, and the latency is very good)

More
17 May 2010 19:09 #2888 by MicroMinded
Replied by MicroMinded on topic Re:ARM and EMC
My design goal is a completely self contained controller and I would like to run my I/O directly off the chip to remove all possible lag. I could use a micro-atx atom motherboard and a usb breakout for my I/O but thats a whole level of complexity further and about 4x the stages for lag/error to be introduced.

I can get these boards: ARM Cortex-A8 units for quite cheap and they have 3D openGL GPU's, DSP for video, 256MB RAM, and 256MB ROM. They can run at a max of 720MHz at ~1440mips

I see RTAI supports ARM7 (v4T) and StrongARM so it shouldn't be to much hassle to port to an ARM Cortex (v7T) For processor info goto Wiki and under OMAP3 see OMAP3530.

How portable is EMC? I have not even looked at the source yet...

More
17 May 2010 19:52 #2890 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:ARM and EMC
MicroMinded wrote:

My design goal is a completely self contained controller and I would like to run my I/O directly off the chip to remove all possible lag.

You would probably have to write your own driver to get EMC2 to drive that IO.

I could use a micro-atx atom motherboard and a usb breakout for my I/O

I don't think EMC supports any USB devices for motion control.(USB is inherently non-realtime).
For other alternatives look at:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware
I am happy with the Mesa 7i43, but your requirements might be different,

How portable is EMC? I have not even looked at the source yet...

It's open source, so inherently portable. How much work do you want to make for yourself though?

More
19 May 2010 15:16 - 19 May 2010 15:17 #2914 by tenaja
Replied by tenaja on topic Re:ARM and EMC

MicroMinded wrote:I can get these boards: ARM Cortex-A8 units for quite cheap and they have 3D openGL GPU's, DSP for video, 256MB RAM, and 256MB ROM. They can run at a max of 720MHz at ~1440mips...

Considering you can get a dual core Atom + motherboard for less than half that price, it seems like a pretty high price for what you get.
www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?...72&name=Intel%20Atom
Last edit: 19 May 2010 15:17 by tenaja.

More
09 Jul 2010 13:15 #3309 by kessa
Replied by kessa on topic Re:ARM and EMC
For the price of the ARM processor is so cheap ,and the function is growing so fast , so , It sounds a good idea to let the EMC2 running on ARM, Can somebody have the enthusiasm to do the aweful work ?

More
10 Jul 2010 12:32 #3319 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:ARM and EMC
Sending private e-mails is not the preferred way to ask questions or to solicit someone to do work for your benefit. I generally only answer private e-mails regarding work I have done. My suggestion is to ask your question in as many places as possible but don't send private e-mails unless the person has agreed to receiving them in advance.

John

More
17 Aug 2010 17:08 #3793 by jonataapolinario
Replied by jonataapolinario on topic Re:ARM and EMC
Hi All!
I would like to help with this.
I also started with embedded arm in the mini2440 arm board.
im a litle newbie, so i had much difficulties, starting with porting linux to arm.
i had compiled the 2.6.32 kernel with rtai, but it didnt worked, something was wrong.
so, if you decide to continue with this im with us.

More
20 Sep 2010 19:20 #4260 by serg_io
Replied by serg_io on topic Re:ARM and EMC
It seems someone already implements a similar project

More
23 Dec 2010 18:50 #6226 by jdx714
Replied by jdx714 on topic Re:ARM and EMC
serg_io wrote:

It seems someone already implements a similar project

You can tell me, this:
Kernel version?
linux distribution?
RTAI version?
EMC2 version?

whit you make this job?.

thanks.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds