raspberry pi or beaglebone for stand alone indexer

More
24 May 2015 08:09 #58962 by JR1050
Ive done several lathes and mills with a full PC and lcnc. Right now I have a need for a stand alone indexer controller that would be toggled by an m code and relay from a yasnac control. It seems like a full mother board is an over kill for one rotary axis. Would one of these micro computers pull.off this task? I have no experience with them and just thinking out loud. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2015 16:32 #58965 by ArcEye

Ive done several lathes and mills with a full PC and lcnc. Right now I have a need for a stand alone indexer controller that would be toggled by an m code and relay from a yasnac control. It seems like a full mother board is an over kill for one rotary axis. Would one of these micro computers pull.off this task? I have no experience with them and just thinking out loud. Thanks.

They could, but there are several considerations.

They have ARM processors and Linuxcnc does not support ARM.

They have no parport or serial port, just USB, so in themselves they cannot run anything much, they require capes to add sufficient IO etc
When you start adding all the bits together, it is debateable if they would be cheaper than a second hand PC.

You would have to use Machinekit to get a ready made image for SD card and immerse yourself in the BBB learning curve, to do what you could do almost without thinking with a normal x86 computer and Linuxcnc

Unless you are considering actually building the board into the indexer, I know which I would choose.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR1050

More
24 May 2015 23:39 #58972 by JR1050
Thanks. I wasn't thinking about expense as much as small compact package. I think the path is clear. Thanks again.

More
25 May 2015 05:18 #58979 by andypugh

Thanks. I wasn't thinking about expense as much as small compact package. I think the path is clear. Thanks again.

An Arduino would be cheaper still, and might do what you want. Serial comms is easy, and there are libraries that do stepper signals.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds