Linux Mint 17.3 / 64-bit - Uspace / Preempt-RT ?

More
25 Jun 2016 21:27 #76659 by PCW
On the Zotac CI323 I got pretty lousy latency (~120 usec) but for Ethernet and configs with the DPLL thats not terribly important since all the time critical sampling is de-jittered by the DPLL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2016 18:18 #76681 by CMB
Back to the Linux Mint 17.3 / 64-bit - Uspace / Preempt-RT setup.

After completing the following steps:
-Installed Mint / Mate 64-bit.
-Installed the Preempt-RT Kernel 4.4.7 per PCW's guide here: "forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/27-driver-board...7i77?start=180#62783"
-And the following steps based on this guide: "www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php?title=LinuxCNC_Run_In_Place":

sudo apt-get install git
git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev
git checkout 2.7
git pull
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

I've installed all unmet dependencies except for these:
Unmet build dependencies: linux-image-4.4.7-rt16 rtai-modules-4.4.7-rt16 | rtai-modules-4.4.7-rt16 linux-headers-4.4.7-rt16

Any insight on what I missed to have those listed as unmet dependencies or otherwise how to correct this?

Here is the output from uname -a
Linux LinuxCNC1 4.4.7-rt16 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

More
26 Jun 2016 18:49 - 26 Jun 2016 18:53 #76682 by gambaf
when compiling for the RT-PREEMPT kernel, you need to configure for uspace:

./configure --with-realtime=uspace

edit: just ignore those unmet dependencies and run configure.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 18:53 by gambaf.

More
26 Jun 2016 21:06 - 26 Jun 2016 21:16 #76685 by CMB
gambaf, Thanks for the info. It works!

I've got a few things to sort out but linuxcnc 2.7.4 is running and I have connection to my Mesa 7i76e!

No module named gtkgl.widget appears when I try to launch a config using Gmoccapy, but other than that it went pretty well.

Edit:
Sudo apt-get install python-gtkglext1 resolved the dependency for Gmoccapy!

Man all this is exciting for a newbie!
Thanks to everyone for their input on this, once I get it thoroughly tested I'll post up all my steps to get this going in case it helps someone else.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 21:16 by CMB.

More
28 Jun 2016 16:07 #76747 by CMB
After compiling the 4.4.7 Preempt-RT kernel on Mint 17.3- 64 bit, what is the preferred way to copy that kernel or create a .deb package so It can be quickly installed on future builds with the same hardware / OS?

Also when compiling using PCW's script and (only using xconfig to check the 64bit and fully preemptable flags) is it likely the kernel may work on numerous other 64 bit systems since I didn't remove any of the un-needed drivers?

I realize these questions may lean more toward linux usage not linuxcnc specifically, but I'm still learning how to differentiate the two as I chose to learn them both at the same time.

I'm absolutely ecstatic this works in Mint as well as it does and would have never even looked at mint without Big John T's posts on the subject. Now to make it quicker and easier to install...

More
28 Jun 2016 16:11 #76749 by andypugh

what is the preferred way to copy that kernel or create a .deb package so It can be quickly installed on future builds with the same hardware / OS?.

There is some guidance here, though I suspect that it only creates a deb for the LinuxCNC software and not the kernel

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Buildyourowndebpackages

More
28 Jun 2016 17:18 #76753 by CMB
andypugh, Thanks! That points me somewhere for sure. I'll read up on debuild and try using it in place of make in the kernel build script although It seems I'll have to re-compile the kernel at least once more to try getting a .deb package. I think it's time to join a good Linux forum as well. Any recommendations?

More
29 Jun 2016 16:55 #76796 by CMB
No luck with the "debuild" command but I discovered In order to compile & make a .deb package for a new kernel, the "make deb-pkg" command seems to be the replacement for "make" in PCW's script (found here: forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/27-driver-board...7i77?start=180#62783) for compiling a new kernel.

Issue "make deb-pkg" in place of the 3 lines below to obtain the required .deb packages.

make
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds