Cannot enable Local APIC

More
10 Nov 2016 13:30 #82652 by ViktorP
Hello, I'm trying to use LinuxCNC on old Compaq Evo N400c laptop (I know, laptop is not a good idea). I have installed LinuxCNC Linux distribution on a disk sucessfully, but cannot start LinuxCNC. The RTOS writes:

could not insert module /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/rtai_hal.ko: Operation not permitted

According to LinuxCNC FAQ this is due to not enabled Local APIC in GRUB boot manager. But my GRUB has it enabled. Do you have an idea, how to force-enable Local APIC?
In the attachment is:
  • LinuxCNC start-up error,
  • LinuxCNC Info application output,
  • dmesg output,
  • proc/cpuinfo content,
  • /boot/grub.cfg,
  • and /etc/default/grub .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 14:03 #82656 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cannot enable Local APIC
Is it possible to enable LAPIC in the system BIOS?

More
10 Nov 2016 14:58 #82661 by ViktorP
Replied by ViktorP on topic Cannot enable Local APIC
Unfortunately, it is not possible. The BIOS setup is only very simple. See the screenshot.
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2016 17:33 - 10 Nov 2016 17:34 #82672 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Cannot enable Local APIC
The Evo 400c is ancient, a P3 with 128MB RAM (unless upgraded).
It was shipped with Windoze 98 on it!

If you insist on using it, load a non SMP kernel distro version it will be able to run without LAPIC, ie 8.04
Even so you will find performance lamentable.

I can't find it listed still on this site, the links are dead, but here is a mirror (just scan the download with a virus checker to be safe)
dsplabs.upt.ro/~juve/emc/get.php?file=ub...p-emc2-aj13-i386.iso

Much better, buy an ex corporate desktop with monitor and keyboard if you need them for only £54 or if you don't, just a desktop for about £25
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-DELL-DUAL-CORE-D...0:g:nKQAAOSwDNdVpSe9
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desktop-SFF-Intel-Pen...1:g:pGIAAOSwTA9X4Ssm

(these aren't recommendations, just examples of what you can get for very little)

Then you will be able to install and run the Wheezy based distro, subject to research on latency etc for selected unit.

regards
Last edit: 10 Nov 2016 17:34 by ArcEye.

More
11 Nov 2016 13:47 - 11 Nov 2016 13:48 #82695 by ViktorP
Replied by ViktorP on topic Cannot enable Local APIC
Thank you ArcEye for your advice. I have installed the distribution you gave me a link to a it works like a charm. Even the Latency test jitter is around 17 us - that should be enough.

Now, why I insist on this old laptop even that I have younger desktop computer in an attic? I have two reasons for it. First, this laptop was my first computer I bought from my own money when was at university and I was very careful to it and it still looks like new. I was simply too pity to let it lie in a cabinet. Second, I want to control my hobby lathe and have only limited space on a workbench - this laptop is such an elegant solution...

Anyway, thank you very much again. You helped me.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2016 13:48 by ViktorP.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds