Hardware Question

More
30 Jan 2017 16:35 #86978 by Hippy
Hardware Question was created by Hippy
Hi, I am not new to Linux but am new to Linuxcnc. I am currently building a cnc router and I am determined to not run it via a windows machine. I have poked around this forum for a little while and i know most was suggesting going with an Atom based build, but Atom's are getting hard to find and rather pricey if you can find one.
I did find some AMD based hardware that still had a parallel port, has anyone used any ASRock MB's with a dual-core cpu? I suspect if i cant find an acceptable MB with a parallel port then a Mesa card is the way to go?
Also what distro should i be looking at for the upmost performance, this box will be used solely to run my cnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 18:02 #86985 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Hardware Question
A board without a parallel port can still use a PCI or PCIe parallel port card to add a parallel port (or 2). But Mesa hardware starts to look very appealing at that point because a 5i25 only costs about $60-70 more than a typical parallel port card. Also don't overlook the fact that many boards that at first glance don't have a pp may have a header somewhere for attaching one.

More
31 Jan 2017 04:03 #87038 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic Hardware Question
Thought i posted this already, guess i didnt....
I have found an Atom 2550 with a pico80 psu, 2GB ram and a SSD. Will put it all in a M350 (small) case.
This should be a good low latency setup to run Linuxcnc right?

More
31 Jan 2017 13:25 #87058 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hardware Question

Hi, I am not new to Linux but am new to Linuxcnc. I am currently building a cnc router and I am determined to not run it via a windows machine. I have poked around this forum for a little while and i know most was suggesting going with an Atom based build, but Atom's are getting hard to find and rather pricey if you can find one.

Atoms were cost-effective and gave good latency a few years ago, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find one now.

I haven't bought a new LinuxCNC motherboard for a few years now, but I would suggest looking for 12V power input and fanless.
There is a board-finder here:
www.mini-itx.com/store/category?type=motherboard

More
31 Jan 2017 16:21 - 31 Jan 2017 16:22 #87072 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic Hardware Question

Atoms were cost-effective and gave good latency a few years ago, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find one now.

I haven't bought a new LinuxCNC motherboard for a few years now, but I would suggest looking for 12V power input and fanless.
There is a board-finder here:
www.mini-itx.com/store/category?type=motherboard

Thanks Andy, I have been looking at some 12v fanless options and just putting it all in my sealed controller box.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2017 16:22 by Hippy.

More
03 Feb 2017 23:19 - 03 Feb 2017 23:21 #87265 by keffer
Replied by keffer on topic Hardware Question
I am new to LinuxCNC and have just put together an an ASRock J3355b-ITX with two 4GB DDR3L crucial memory CT51264BF186DJ. Hard drive is a 120GB SSD SanDisk. I am seeing servo thread Max Interval = 1018337, Max Jitter = 15619, Base thread Max Interval 43190, Max Jitter 19855. I assume this is acceptable right? This board has a parallel port. Cost was $55 at Newegg.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 23:21 by keffer.

More
03 Feb 2017 23:51 #87267 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hardware Question
Yes, that's fine.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds