Strech and touchscreen

More
31 Aug 2017 06:27 - 31 Aug 2017 06:29 #98264 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
I used the latest strech based image.
My final goal is runnig 2.8 and gmocappy and features with 7i76e.

I have a egalax based touchscreen. It worked ok from startup.
But calibration does not. Neither in etc nor in usr included file changes anything.

Im not a linux guru but it's not the first time i setup a touch in linux.

Any hint how to go on?

Mike
Last edit: 31 Aug 2017 06:29 by Mike_Eitel. Reason: Added mesa card

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2017 05:21 #98323 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Strech and touchscreen
Maybe I have to clarify.
Has anybody implemented a touchscreen
And calibrated with xinput-calibrator and Debian strech successful
Mike

More
02 Sep 2017 20:08 #98389 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Strech and touchscreen
Not with stretch, no.
But with Wheezy I found that I had to put the numbers from xinput-calibrator into xorg.conf.
And then had to further refine them.
Also, if you already have a calibration in xorg.conf I think you need to _add_ the numbers from xinput-calibrator to the existing if you run it again.

More
02 Sep 2017 20:18 #98390 by Mike_Eitel
Thx Andy
Will give it a try.
I read somewhere that there has been a modification in strech around tochepads in notebooks...
Never was able to get some numbers read into xinput-calibrator ( always startes with 0, 65535) not could I see a reaction, not with extreme values.
And I have no xorg.conf, as I understood it is not used anymore.
Not easy for a Linux need.

More
02 Sep 2017 22:11 #98396 by andypugh
Xorg.conf is not there by default, but if you create one it will be used.

There are meant to be other, better (?) ways to do it, but I haven't had any luck with them.

More
02 Sep 2017 22:47 #98398 by Mike_Eitel
Found in Ubuntu forum from a guy called favux in 2013 I nice explanation that might help:

lol A bit of pseudo-necromancy Wroger? Or is ubunet's question your question too? Let's answer it ...

Ubunet your Find found the new configuration method. It consists of configuration (.conf) files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. Look in there and you'll see files like 10-evdev.conf. This supplement to xorg.conf, intended for better auto-configuration, means that in modern systems the xorg.conf file usually isn't generated unless you have something like a proprietary video driver that requires it. However the Xorg developers have guaranteed that the xorg.conf file will remain valid, i.e. the new system is backwards compatible. So you can always use a xorg.conf file if you want to, there just usually isn't a need.

You can think of it as working like this, keeping in mind that what runs last controls. During boot up the xorg.conf file is called and it in turn immediately calls the .conf files in xorg.conf.d. They run in the order they are numbered and then if there is an actual xorg.conf file it runs. So whatever is in xorg.conf will override anything in one of the xorg.conf.d directories. Please notice the syntax of the xorg.conf.d snippets is similar but not the same as the syntax in xorg.conf sections. They are not interchangeable. See man xorg.conf in a terminal for more detail.

The /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is for the Distro's and you are not suppose to muck with stuff in there. Instead the user is suppose to put custom files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. You may need to create that directory. The .conf files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d run after the ones in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so they control or override anything in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. Despite that I still usually number them a bit higher. So if I'm modifying the 50-wacom.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d I'll call the custom .conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d 52-wacom.conf. Maybe a bit of overkill.

More
03 Sep 2017 15:44 #98413 by Mike_Eitel
Think I have to give up...
Seems there are major changes around xorg....
Maybe after egalax makes something new ....

I want to run master with a 7i76e and use touch for gmocapy.

Do I really need strech, or can I go with Debian 8 based?

More
03 Sep 2017 16:38 #98415 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Strech and touchscreen
Have you tried with the newest EGalax Touch Utility?
I have made good experience with that tool.

I have not connected ma Faytech Touch Sreen to my computer with Jessie, but I will need to do that sooner or later ;-)

Norbert

More
03 Sep 2017 16:43 - 03 Sep 2017 16:53 #98416 by Mike_Eitel
Thx Norbert
Naturally I have been on the page www.eeti.com/drivers_Linux.html
And tried eGTouch_v2.5.5814.L-x. but it did not work nicely. Seems not to see a device.

I tried xorg.conf / places in usr / and in etc / even with the parameter output-type hal i placed a file somewhere in a policies directory. Never any changes. I'm constantly missing ca. 20 mm from all 4 sides.

Read in changes of Deb 8 to Deb 9 they go now with libinput...
www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/rel...-information.en.html

Seems there very very few people having that problem till now.

Blew up and reinstalled couple of times. And testing is also a pain in the... as I was also not yet able to get autologon working. Three days of frustrations... Greer.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2017 16:53 by Mike_Eitel.

More
04 Sep 2017 12:24 #98455 by andypugh
I think Norbert was suggesting trying the eCalib utility that comes with the eGalaxyTouch driver package.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds