Compaq Presario Latency Test

More
22 Sep 2017 11:15 - 22 Sep 2017 11:15 #99250 by ytiuqibu
We are part of Men's Shed organisation and have installed LinuxCNC on a Compaq Presario 1600AN
Last week we connected this computer to a CNC machine owned by another shed group and were able to run their machine. The conclusion being that the computer is at least capable of running A CNC machine.
Returning to our own shed we have now begun the process of attempting to configure our own CNC machine which presently has different stepper motors, different drivers and a different breakout board from that of the other group.
In order to test the latency of this computer we are referring to the LinuxCNC Manual and I have two questions in this thread:
1) When the manual warns not to run LinuxCNC while the latency test is running I presume it simply means that after pressing the Run Latency Test button in the Stepper Config Wizard we do nothing further with LinuxCNC but equally do not shut it down?; and
2) The manual also refers to abusing the computer while the test is running. As we only have the standard Debian application install on the PC would it be beneficial to install something like Blender and give the machine a scene to render during the test period. I have a scene which takes in excess of 30 minutes to render under Windows on another machine using CPU alone and thought this might provide adequate CPU usage for the test. Would my assumption be correct?
Grateful for any advice in this matter.
Paul :)
Last edit: 22 Sep 2017 11:15 by ytiuqibu. Reason: Typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2017 12:42 #99255 by Todd Zuercher
You don't need to go crazy. I usually just open 2 or 3 windows of Glxgears, browse the web some, check e-mail, maybe watch a couple of U-tube vids, drag some windows around the screen, and install updates, then let the machine sit idle for several hours.

More
22 Sep 2017 13:07 #99258 by ytiuqibu
Thanks Todd - the computer has no internet connection so activities such as web browsing. video or updates are not in prospect. That was why i thought maybe something like a Blender rendering might fit the bill.
With regard to my first question in this thread _ I know it sounds a silly question but I felt the warning raised some ambiguity in my mind regarding what constituted "running LinuxCNC".

More
22 Sep 2017 13:35 - 22 Sep 2017 13:36 #99260 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Compaq Presario Latency Test

1) When the manual warns not to run LinuxCNC while the latency test is running I presume it simply means that after pressing the Run Latency Test button in the Stepper Config Wizard we do nothing further with LinuxCNC but equally do not shut it down?; and

The warning is there because you cannot run LinuxCNC (the machine control software)
and the latency test at the same time. You can (and should) run other Linux applications
when the latency test is running to make sure they do not cause excessive latencies.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2017 13:36 by PCW.

More
22 Sep 2017 13:55 #99261 by ytiuqibu
Thanks!
I guess I will just launch the test from the button in the Step Config Wizard and see what happens.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds