USB Mouse/pendant jitter

More
23 Sep 2017 00:55 #99297 by dokwine
So I'm running vanilla LCNC - current release on Wheezy, everything up to date. The system is a new Gigabyte board running a Skylake (I think) Core I5 CPU with a Mesa 6i25/7i76 setup. Everything has been great except, I'm thinking, the iMach 4 USB Pendant I bought. It frequently misses axis changes and the scrolling performance is erratic - its cost me a few cutters.

Fast Forward. I've noticed when I let my CPU run (like overnight) no LCNC - just a computer and Linux - the mouse is very jumpy the next day. Not unusable, but definitely not smooth. A reboot clears things up. Whats more, after a reboot the USB Pendant works great! Quick switches between axes and smooth scrolling. But I don't like to reboot computers needlessly, and I would like to know whats going on. This system should be more than up to the task, and is until the bit-rot sets in.

Is there a Linux system setting I'm missing? Maybe a BIOS setting? My experience is dated back to when it was spelled Unix :( so I'm not very current. Looking for some direction to explore.

p.s. FWIW Linux does not like to reboot with the USB Pendant plugged in; I need to attach it after Linux is booted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2017 13:01 #99811 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic USB Mouse/pendant jitter

p.s. FWIW Linux does not like to reboot with the USB Pendant plugged in; I need to attach it after Linux is booted.

That sounds a bit suspicious.

I think that your problem might be with Linux rather than LinuxCNC.
billauer.co.il/blog/2013/02/usb-reset-ehci-uhci-linux/
seems to have a way to avoid rebooting, but avoiding the problem would be better.

More
05 Oct 2017 20:13 #99970 by dokwine
Replied by dokwine on topic USB Mouse/pendant jitter
Thanks Andy. Yes, I think its a Linux problem - just hoping someone here might have come across it. I think I learned that the bad mouse behavior starts after the screen saver runs. Maybe get a chance to figure that out today. Obviously don't need a screen saver...

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds