Power Outage and UPS

More
28 Sep 2017 15:25 - 28 Sep 2017 15:30 #99559 by JZHA1985
I run my two smaller router without homing switches because the travel is being totally used and they'd be impossible to add (too busy, and this works well for my business/job)--maybe inductive ones but still I would surmise it'd be difficult to impossible. Manual homing after an outage isn't easy (plus an outage doesn't help the PCs anyhow) and so I am thinking of UPS options. The machines are smaller G540 powered ones with the mini ITX boards on PicoPSUs.

Wouldn't a line voltage powered SSR with decently fast reaction time connected to the Estopp or pause/start LinuxCNC pin, and the PC on a small cheap UPS avert issues? The VFD and spindle has momentum, so the machine would "stop", and since it's acme thread I'm guessing it'd not lose position.

Any thoughts on this? Perhaps power the stepper PSU and PC--then with EStop the PC can disable the G540 (with only the PC and 48V PSU on standby I'm betting it'd last an hour or so--long enough with an alarm for me to manually home/shutdown the unit), and have it stop without position lose? (honestly speaking with EStop is position loss typical? In my case I haven't noticed any)

Past this. Wouldn't it be somewhat trivial to program a cycle where if a pin is triggered--the machine ends the program, G0Z.01, G0X0Y0, and the records the last line of the program--along with the program it was running? Even a power down perhaps?

Trying to think of ideas here. I have no programming knowledge and so I am thinking the first UPS idea is decent. I am a user of LinuxCNC and have for roughly 5-6 years but am not a technically orientated person past the basics. Just a long overdue college student for graduation--with a small business, and a tighter budget who's aspiring to take it full time once free from the trap of academics :-)

Thanks for reading and tossing your $0.02 in here.
Sincerely,
Josh
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 15:30 by JZHA1985.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2017 03:40 #99595 by JZHA1985
Replied by JZHA1985 on topic Power Outage and UPS
Meanwell and PicoPsu have UPS units that'll switch from say a 12 v load to a battery--along with internal charging functionality. Combined with a line voltage sensing deal and a estop or pause pin--then we have a brief blackout insurance policy for under $100 USD.. I think i will do this as a single piece of wood can be $100, and this place is not so good with power stability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds