Easily cloning SATA DOM?

More
26 Oct 2017 14:20 #100834 by JZHA1985
I've tried once or twice VIA bootable USB drive images (Clonezilla)to create an image--in case the SATA DOM dies, and I need a new one made.
So far I've had no luck.. Which software package fits the bill and is relatively easy to use? I'd like to clone hardrives, and/or create a burnable OS image for later use.
I'm not sure if it would "fit" but I've considered buying a cheap hardrive duplicator, and doing it that way--as sometimes "finding" the right way is too time consuming. However, I figured I'd ask here and see what everyone uses--as I bet somebody knows of a straightforward and effective way of doing this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2017 20:38 #100854 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?
I normally use a bootable USB pen (debian, ubuntu, ....) with a live image to have a working OS.
With the two hard disks connected and recognized, a simple DD command will do the job (full clone of the disk).

See for example
www.computerhope.com/unix/dd.htm

I never did a ISO or a clone to a file (only for another equal hard drive), but it seems that it also works.

More
26 Oct 2017 23:09 #100864 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?

I've tried once or twice VIA bootable USB drive images (Clonezilla)to create an image--in case the SATA DOM dies, and I need a new one made.
So far I've had no luck.. Which software package fits the bill and is relatively easy to use?

"Easy" might be stretching the point, but I recently cloned the SATA DOM on my lathe in to a file on my Mac, across the network using "dd"

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/132797/...save-to-a-local-disk

(though that example also zips the file, you might not want that)

More
26 Oct 2017 23:37 #100866 by JZHA1985
Replied by JZHA1985 on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?
I never dared the USB pen drive--so you can run the whole thing from it, and you're set?
Then within linux I will look up the dd command--as it's been a while but it sounds reasonable... Could probably even Clone USB to USB. Partition wise DD also handles it?
Pardon the ignorance--I am running files from 5 years ago, and I am realizing it could go flush if I don't backup "everything" as it sits.

More
26 Oct 2017 23:38 #100867 by JZHA1985
Replied by JZHA1985 on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?
Ah I don't have an network connection yet... Soon I'm graduating, will have three routers online, documentation, etc.. For now it's a total mess--I'll give the link a looking through, and perhaps it'll be "tolerable"--anything but these last two finance courses tolerable :-)

More
27 Oct 2017 09:14 #100875 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?
If you don't have a network connection, what do you plan to clone the DOM to?

You should be able to clone the current boot DOM to an identical one in a different SATA slot.
Just make sure that you copy the full drive to the empty one and not the reverse.

dd simply makes a byte-by-byte copy of a drive or file (in Linux "everything is a file", including a drive) to somewhere else. Typically the drives are on the same machine, but I was assuming that wasn't the case for you.

More
27 Oct 2017 09:56 #100877 by InMyDarkestHour
I've used www.system-rescue-cd.org/ with great success if you can boot from a cd or usb......it can also be booted over a network

dd is great but I would boot from a live cd or other media, not a great fan of cloning a "live" device/disk/partition, but this is just my own opion and idea ;). dd is also a fine way for young players to trash a system......but as long as you don't get your of & if devices confused you're all good.

Some good info for using dd wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning

More
27 Oct 2017 10:18 #100879 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Easily cloning SATA DOM?
I have no idea what a SATA DOM is nor do I feel I should know cos I will need one, having managed all this time without.
However I do know a bit about creating cd's and backing up my Hdd an easy and very good facility is available from old school Linux.
Synaptic will install bootcd on your system, open a shell and type "bootcdwrite", follow the few simple instructions, go put the kettle on.
By the time your brew is ready to drink your backup will be ready to burn, don't come any easier than that does it?

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds