New To Linux Question On Setting Up The Gigabyte GB-BXBT-1900

More
15 Nov 2017 06:03 #101819 by techbuilder
Hi Folks,
Moving on to my question, I recently bought a Gigabyte GB-BXBT-1900 and am currently in the process with figuring out which build of Linux to put on the computer.

I've heard of people putting Linux Mint 18.3 but when setting up a computer for LinuxCNC there's a special kernel that must be installed?(sorry if I don't make sense I'm still learning from the ground up about Linux)

Which Kernel would I use for the Gigabyte GB-BXBT-1900 or which version of Linux should I use?

I will be using a Mesa 7I76E to control my stepper controllers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2017 06:16 #101820 by InMyDarkestHour
Just use the official Linuxcnc release, it'll be easier to begin with, everything is ready to start configuring.

If you want to use a USB wifi dongle there's a thread floating around that describes towards the end what you need to get going.

Once you get more familiar you could try Linux Mint

More
15 Nov 2017 06:19 #101821 by techbuilder
What's the benefit to using Linux Mint vs the official LinuxCNC release?

More
15 Nov 2017 06:34 #101822 by InMyDarkestHour
It's all personal choice, Linux Mint does look pretty and is a very capable distro, actually I have it installed on my laptop & desktop. I really like it for everyday use

On the laptop I have compiled Linuxcnc to run in simulator mode more for testing gcode prior to running it on the mill, but that's just my choice.

If you are still feeling your way around Linux, the official release has everything you need to setup a machine, just do your config and off you go, barring Murphy sticking his head in. The time spent compiling Linuxcnc on Mint would be better spent learning to use Linuxcnc.

There's no reason you couldn't get your machine setup on the official release and then if you want, save all your configs and what not then setup Linuxcnc on Mint then copy your configs over.

More
15 Nov 2017 17:02 #101858 by techbuilder
Perfect I'll go the route of the official release!

Thank you for all your help ozzyrob it's very much appreciated =)

More
16 Nov 2017 10:25 #101885 by rodw
I'm going to put a spanner in the works for you. With your 7i76e, the preemptive kernel is a prerequisite.
The official release does not include this but the docs tell you how to do it.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel
BUT:
With more modern hardware, there is a lack of driver support on Wheezy and the reason why many of us moved to Linux Mint was because Mint sorted out all of our hardware problems. However, it meant that we had to compile the preemptive kernel. Once we got that far, it was not much more work to compile linuxcnc from source. That is why I use Linux Mint on on my Gigabyte Brix computer.

Soon after, cncnoob wrote a tutorial on how to install Mint and Linuxcnc.

Now there is a beta version ISO of linuxcnc built on a later version of Debian that includes the preemptive kernel. Hopefully somebody will come along with a link to the beta on buildbot somewhere. Be aware it has not worked for everyone.

So try the beta version and if your hardware is not supported, go with mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

More
16 Nov 2017 10:57 #101886 by InMyDarkestHour
Great info Rod....good to have someone chime in with a bit more experience with Mesa gear and modern hardware.

I've gone to the Darkisde.....(BeagleBone Black with machine*** & custom cape & daughter boards, using PRU for step & dir and MPG) but I find you guys here have a much better knowledge base with things to relating to HAL & configs. I can't say I'm taking up any of the distributed things being added to machine***.

I like to share my help out with queries mainly with Linux....but my HAL skills are getting better.

More
16 Nov 2017 11:03 #101887 by rodw

Great info Rod....
I like to share my help out with queries mainly with Linux....but my HAL skills are getting better.

Thanks, where were you when I was trying to install Linux???? :)

More
16 Nov 2017 11:06 #101888 by InMyDarkestHour
Between 2005 to 2007 I was living around Logan, in Brissy..........Back back to Sydney QLD is way to relaxed lol

More
16 Nov 2017 11:09 #101889 by rodw

Between 2005 to 2007 I was living around Logan, in Brissy..........Back back to Sydney QLD is way to relaxed lol

I've been working on my plasma cutter for a long time but not that long!. I'm at Algester, just near Logan.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds