Graphics cards in 2018 - looking for suggestions

More
05 May 2018 02:39 #110229 by InMyDarkestHour
Great work, I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2018 07:50 #110239 by emcPT

I have always (every single time) used onboard video and have never found it to be a problem.

On my most recent set ups, I am using 64 bits kernels with low entry's graphic cards (but with a good processor), not having only good latency results but to be able to use a virtual machine running windows 10 (with very good smooth results). Recently I bough a nvidia Asus GeForce GT 710 SL 2GD5 (53€). Should arrive tomorrow, but I got good results before with a GT610.
This is due to be using CAM's on windows 10, and I can this way, do all on a single computer making my work faster, without the need to send files over network, ....
I also realised that using 8Gb memory (only possible with the 64 bits kernels) helps a lot with the virtual machine. This is the downside as nowadays I am buying 8Gb DDR4 at 95€ ?! Almost the double of the processor...

More
08 May 2018 22:23 #110403 by curtisa
Got the new (old) HD5450 card installed yesterday. Latency is stable at around 16k, whether or not I use my xorg.conf file to turn off hardware acceleration. It would seem in my case my system base latency is around 16k and the spikes I was experiencing was related to the HD3450 hardware acceleration.

Once I get my hands on a full height PCI bracket for the graphics card I'll permanently swap the old HD3450 out. While I'm not noticing any significant differences in latency results between the two cards, having something that can output on Display Port/DVI is a nicer alternative to the old VGA/DVI combo the HD3450 had.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds