Computer Selection with Ethernet based Mesa Cards

More
18 May 2018 17:44 #110849 by tjones
Hi All,

I am trying to understand the limitations in computers as it applys to the ethernet based mesa boards, i.e. 7i92 to 7i76/7i77 or 7i76E
From my reading thus far small computers like raspberry don't have a real time ethernet connection and the newer intel NUC type computers don't fully support the kernel out of the box. How does latency play a factor in the ethernet based boards? I am building some smaller desktop CNC routers for a few people and I am looking for more of a go to small computer, so I am not always relying on old dells. Since the newer ethernet mesa boards don't require a parallel or PCI port on my computer I feel like it opens the doors up to all types of smaller computer options that will fit nicely inside a control box. Maybe even a computer like the new CL200 from Logic Supply.

- What are some smaller computers, that are new, that natively work with linuxcnc?
- How does latency/jitter effect the ethernet based boards and how should that effect my computer decision.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2018 18:55 - 19 May 2018 00:07 #110850 by PCW
I would expect most of the Intel NUC type boards and Mini PCs to work OK with t he Debian Stretch/LinuxCNC test ISO

Latency is not terribly important as long as the Ethernet latency is not bad (longer than say 1/2 of the servo thread time),
Checking this requires looking at the various tmax parameters of a running system. (halcmd show param *.tmax)
and dividing these by the CPU clock speed

I should add that if your Ethernet MAC is an Intel chip you need to disable IRQ coalescing in the driver
(this is mentioned in the hm2_eth manual page)
Last edit: 19 May 2018 00:07 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds