Lagged Response Time Due to Graphics in AXIS

More
09 Sep 2018 00:17 - 09 Sep 2018 00:18 #117228 by JZHA1985
I notice there's lag with the motherboard I use which is a j1900--it's not gotten worse but I use the machine a lot now, and it's not something I like to deal with.
IE if I jog it'll delay to start and won't stop even after letting go the MPG, etc...
This gets a lot worse if I have a program being displayed with say 50K or more lines in it.

Sometimes I break endmills since it's a little lagged and I am "pushing" it too far (this $2K machine has been doing miracles so I shouldn't be harsh) for getting things homed.

Are there any new motherboards that have better GPU performance, do software stepping for a G540, and are fan-less?
Is wifi or ethernet based internet access, and a basic file syncing program a bad idea for such a board I have now?
I'm thinking about a network setup so I don't need to run around with USB drives, and so I can update files easier.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2018 00:18 by JZHA1985.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2018 14:48 #117236 by PCW
Not sure if any of the other fanless CPUs are much faster but there are certainly much faster CPUs with good latency that need fan cooling. (the G32XX series + H97 MBs for example or many of the I3/I5/I7 systems)

Another option is to disable the backplot if its too complex

I have not noticed the a J1900 is terribly slow with simple gcode, it is possible that you have
some settings that are slowing down the CPU? posting the result of "cat /proc/cmdline" might help as would posting your hal/ini files

More
10 Sep 2018 01:18 #117270 by JZHA1985
Thank you for the information,
I like fanless since I get dust and run stuff in an imperfect environment--but understand what you mean by stuff not getting much faster till you get a fan.

I'll hide the plotting of the G-Code usually but do use it when I need to jump around or see where it's out for a basic few K lines of code. I've not updated LinuxCNC for 2 years--so perhaps that's my trouble, or you'll feel I'm burning your time since I haven't done so.

I'll enter that into the command line tomorrow and post the result.
Also I'll skim the HAL/INI files to see. I do run a generic wireless USB pendant but it's been slow beforehand. Not too bad but for a small wood router that I use a lot--it could have less latency I'd say.

More
10 Sep 2018 02:24 #117273 by Todd Zuercher
Are you running a very fast basethread?
If you can live with a little slower thread rate, that can often speed things up.

More
10 Sep 2018 04:49 #117278 by cmorley

IE if I jog it'll delay to start and won't stop even after letting go the MPG, etc...
This gets a lot worse if I have a program being displayed with say 50K or more lines in it.

What kind of MPG are you using? USB based?

Not sure if you are using a Mesa or parport based machine but a realtime based MPG and jog buttons should be responsive regardless of the userspace code's sluggishness.

Chris M

More
11 Sep 2018 14:34 #117335 by andypugh

[quote="jm82792" post=117228Not sure if you are using a Mesa or parport based machine but a realtime based MPG and jog buttons should be responsive regardless of the userspace code's sluggishness.

I was about to say the same thing.

If you hardwire your MPG to IO pins and then to an encoder in HAL, then connect the output to halui and motion pins in HAL, then even if the GUI has completely crashed you will still get non-lagged jogging and other controls.

What hardware are you using? (and which MPG)

More
21 Sep 2018 18:27 #117853 by JZHA1985
I think I'll try reducing the base thread--if I manually edit the responsible file will it refuse to run if I knock the number down too low? (pardon the lack of proper terms)

Also I apologize--I had to evacuate for the East coast storm, put everything into trash bags, have my CNC routers in my closet, and just got my shop back up.

More
21 Sep 2018 18:30 #117854 by JZHA1985
Sorry about the delay--hurricane took me out for a week.
It's a generic XHC sort that have drivers written and are included with the more recent LinuxCNC ISOs.

I'll knock the base thread down as 180 IPM jog travel is nice--but if it's down to 140, and less lag that's not bad either.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds