What parallel port card?

More
12 Sep 2018 15:02 #117406 by muzza
Hi. First post. I've had a few lengths of V slot, V wheels, a Gecko 540, power supply and four NEMA23 steppers sitting in my shed for two years and it's time to actually get this thing up and going.

I'm a bit confused as to which parallel port PCI to buy as the advice given here...

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/18917-faq...-parallel-port-cards

...says "EPP isn't needed for stepper systems"

but the Gecko initial Setup Guide says this...

STEP 2: MAKE SURE YOUR PARALLEL PORT IS SET TO EPP MODE.
Your parallel port must be set to EPP mode in BIOS for the parallel port to work correctly with the G540. If it is not in EPP mode some functions of the G540 will not work.

I haven't started putting my machine together yet as I'm waiting on a few more parts to arrive and I'd like to make a start on nutting out how to actually operate it.

Also, I read somewhere that the Gecko needs a special cable. A parallel printer cable won't do it.

Sorry about the dumb questions. I can guarantee they won't be my last.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2018 20:48 #117429 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic What parallel port card?
You can safely ignore that, get a NET MOS chipset card and in most case it just works without any additional drivers or anything else.
The only trouble you can encounter is with the charge pump, and even that can be bypassed on the G540 as it has a switch for it.
No need for special cable, almost all parallel port ones will do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: muzza

More
13 Sep 2018 14:49 #117462 by muzza
Replied by muzza on topic What parallel port card?
Thanks for the reply Tommy. Turns out it may be a redundant question. I found a Dell Optiplex 960 on ebay and pulled the trigger on it.

Someone in another thread had good results with this exact machine. Hopefully I will too.

Thanks again...

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds