All or some steppers acting weird.

More
05 Oct 2018 04:05 #118454 by Johnsinski
A new problem has cropped up after years of my CNC working fine. I'm guessing it might be lightning storm related. (something got shocked and damaged)

My CNC, custom built 3-axis, HobbyCNC driver board, transformer/rectified/capacitor power supply, LinuxCNC (when it was EMC3) on a Thinkcenter M52 (P4, 3.0ghz).

I hadn't used the cnc for a few weeks and I went to use it and when I got everything powered up, I thought the stepper whine sounded different. When I went to jog the axes around (all 3) they sounded very bad and gravely. It would start loosing steps at a very low speed and clearly had very little torque.. I shut everything down and blew everything off (dust on the board and in the computer) and retightened all connections and when I booted up again, it seemed to be back to normal.

Then a day later I started it up again but now it seemed only the Z was bad, or sort of bad. I milled a few small things and I think the Y axis then went bad again and the part showed lost steps in Z and Y.

I check the unloaded voltage of the power supply and it was about 40v, which is correct. I also checked the 5v test point on the HobbyCNC board and the voltage pad for each motor and they were correct.

I'm trying to find a replacement computer, but can a parallel port be "sort of bad"? And would the CNC sort of work, but not correctly? What else could case this?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2018 05:51 #118457 by tommylight
It looks like a failing power supply, namely the capacitor on the output side has gone dry rendering it uncapable of maintaining the stable voltage required. Have a look at the power supply, most of them have a little green LED on when powered, start the machine and keep watching said LED, if it changes intensity while working, that is a sure sign that that it is failing.
There is also the possibility of metal dust in the motor wiring, connectors or power supply that is causing intermittent shorts, thus drawing more power from the power supply.
More info would be helpful, this is just a stab in the dark with so little info.

More
05 Oct 2018 06:13 #118458 by Johnsinski
Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's a power supply made from a transformer, rectifier and cap as per HobbyCNC instructions. I'll try changing out the cap. My only other easily accessible DC power supply would be some LiPo batteries (RC hobby), I could put those in place to test also.

Although I did check the power supply out voltage (not connected to the driver board) after turning the transformer off and it was retaining voltage for a good half minute slowly dropping from 40v to 1 or 2v. There is a resistor on the cap to discharge it I think, so that would indicate to me that the cap is ok. I think I have some other big caps I can try though. I'll go through my wiring on the power supply too.

Thanks.

More
05 Oct 2018 07:19 #118459 by tommylight
Well that seems to be fine, so you might want to check if the step timing is correct, or just make it longer and see how the motors behave.
Do you get a latency error while running Linuxcnc ?

More
05 Oct 2018 08:23 #118461 by Johnsinski
The stepper config has setting for the HobbyCNC board. As far as I know nothing changed, which makes me think it's a hardware failure that may have occurred during all the lightning storms recently. But I'll do some testing tomorrow.

That computer has some weird latency issue that was SMI or related. It had a huge spike in latency every 32 or 64 seconds, but I fixed that with some SMI or similar thing in the config file. I think I had the latency setting at 50,000 or so. I would get errors occasionally while running the CNC, but I never noticed any major problems with the parts made. I've literally run the machine for days, surface finishing molds and had no problem.

Oh I forgot, I tried a different power supply (switching?) years ago and I think that caused some weird ground loop, that may have overloaded something in the computer. But again that was a long time ago, and it's been working fine for years.

I'll still try power supply testing, though.

More
05 Oct 2018 12:53 #118473 by Todd Zuercher
I've seen the problems you describe from bad wiring between the drives and motors, bad plugs, and bad drives. (and those 1st two problems can cause the 3rd.)

More
06 Oct 2018 07:27 #118489 by Johnsinski
It appears to be working...now that I have the printer cable secured to the computer port properly. After futzing with it I noticed one of the two standoffs screwed into the computer port ends (little hex screw standoffs) was stuck in the cable and that end of the cable was not held in tight and must have just barely been making a connection and that was causing the intermittent stepper problem.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds