Recommended hardware

More
18 Nov 2018 21:03 #120965 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Recommended hardware

It does seem that the SOES now supports some devices like the LAN9252 that have data sheets that are not under NDA protection. We made a Ethercat device a couple years ago using a ET1100 that at the time had quite restrictive licenses, and truly dreadful documentation.

I'm sure mesa supporters will eagerly await V2 :) Ethercat seems to be gathering a head of steam in commercial systems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 22:40 - 19 Nov 2018 22:59 #121030 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Recommended hardware
@PCW,

Currently i am writing a Etercat c code glue model. I have the i/o working on the etherlab side on 64 bit Linux. The glue to
Linuxcnc is now i am working on. It's hard to work with 3 different c complilers. So i have a plan.
I think you might be able to test it on a already existing mesa fpga board. Only thing would be to write a hotmost3 glue model
for mesa ethercat electronics.

My opinion is to write a universal glue module for Linuxcnc to exernal c program application's, Now i have the idea it looks like importing 2 separate bitfiles in the glue model. I call it bitfiles now, but it are in fact c information files.

@Rodw,

I think ethercat is a nice product. But it's hard to setup for future Linuxcnc generation's. Everyone know it wil be 64 bit system's
or higher. Now It only run's on a old Linuxcnc 32 bit version.
Maybe Sascha can make an update to the .so file for 64 bit kernels. The source code of Sascha's kernel driver is so far i know only available as package inluded an .so file. Then there was a patch that i did not understand how to install.
Then i started from scratch.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2018 22:59 by Grotius.

More
20 Nov 2018 01:53 #121037 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Recommended hardware
Grotius, sorry I have not played with ethercat. I won't be in the forseeable future. I thought the source was available as there was discussions about it on the developers mailing list a few months ago. Its probably a case of knowing where to look. Then you can compile on a 64 bit system.

More
11 Dec 2018 21:10 #122235 by gzcwnk
Replied by gzcwnk on topic Recommended hardware
regarding Dell PCs. I am just setting up linuxcnc. I happen to have a Dell T1500 which has 2 PCI slots so I fitted a cheap chinese parallel port card which seems to work with linuxcnc OK (still setting up as of Dec18)

www.aliexpress.com/item/Great-Q-1Port-I-...-to/32831133280.html

A workmate uses the Dell 760s and Dell 780s as they have an on-board parallel port card for his cncs. Trying to get a 790 to try but that will need an addon card so I might as well use the later 990 or 9010 series. I do have 990s and 9010s but its quite hard to get a parallel port card with a small form factor as for its bracket I'll 3d print one I suspect. So to make life easier you want the MT (minitower case)

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds