Computer crash/hangs with Debian stretch-uspace-amd64-r13.iso running linuxcnc

More
24 Nov 2018 13:25 #121290 by emcPT
This is somehow related with the post:

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/35563-nee...in-kernel-4-19-1-rt3

After a few days trying to get a virtual machine running in ubuntu with kernel 4-19-1-rt3, and running linuxcnc, the computer crashed sometime just using the OS or using linuxcnc. Latency was ok.

Since any crash is something that I cannot tolerate on a machine, I decided to test one of the iso's present in

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

This way I have tested the r13 version. Instalation was perfect, the virtual machine instalation also was nice, graphics fine, latency test ok also (40000 max in servo thread), no crash at all.
Compiled 2.8.0 pre, and a few moments after it is running the computer crashes again (image stays still, nothing is responding). It happened also during the linuxcnc start.

Any idea to start to understand what might be wrong?
It seems related with the PC hardware/linuxcnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2018 16:47 #121295 by tommylight
Ola Filipe,
Did i understand you correctly, you are using Linuxcnc running in a virtual machine on a windows computer ?
If that is the case, that is strictly forbidden in the computer universe, it should be the other way round, use windows in a virtual machine running Linux.
Sorry if i misunderstood, but that is the way it is written.

More
25 Nov 2018 05:36 #121315 by InMyDarkestHour
TBH to really nut out this problem you are going to need a log of the VM session and maybe support from a forum applicable to the VM.

More
25 Nov 2018 14:10 #121319 by emcPT
Maybe I have explained myself bad.

The objective is to have a native linux running a virtual machine where I will run a CAD/CAM program on it.
I have several machines running like that, where the virtual machine supports the software for generate the GCode, but since my CAD/CAM is graphically demanding I was hoping to get a better base hardware to have better performance on the virtual machine side.
Therefor I bought a ryzen G2200 that have a good performance without external graphics card, and at the same time is cost efective.

The current problem should be related only with the kernel and the hardware, nothing related with the virtual machine as the virtual machine is performing as expected.

More
25 Nov 2018 15:15 #121322 by skunkworks
I have had bad luck with virtualbox and the rt_preemt kernel. (kernel panics and lockups)

I stopped using virtualbox and started using virtmanager/kvm/qemu. so far so good.

More
25 Nov 2018 21:41 #121344 by tommylight

I have had bad luck with virtualbox and the rt_preemt kernel. (kernel panics and lockups)

I stopped using virtualbox and started using virtmanager/kvm/qemu. so far so good.

Yup that was the case for me about 2 years back with Mint 17.2 and 17.3. Qemu worked fine for booting usb images.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emcPT

More
25 Nov 2018 21:52 #121347 by emcPT
Thank you but In my case linuxcnc hangs the full system even without the virtual machine running.
This is, the problem is not the virtual machine - I am happy with the virtual machine performance - and the system does not hang with it running, it is the linuxcnc.

Thinking a bit more on the subject, when installing the virtual machine, a kernel module is also installed? Correct? In this case can this module be a source of problems.... Tomorrow morning I will try to uninstall the virtual machine and test linuxcnc without the virtual machine installed (not sure if this makes sense!)

More
25 Nov 2018 22:03 #121348 by skunkworks
In my experience the system was unstable. Some times wouldn't boot. Some times locked up..

More
25 Nov 2018 22:09 #121351 by emcPT
I presume that it happened after the virtual box was installed, yes?

For me the virtual PC was so important that I never tested the system without it. Will try tomorrow.

More
29 Nov 2018 18:45 #121606 by emcPT
To update this thread:

I was not able to have a stable configuration using the AMD Ryzen G2200.

Bought a Pentium G5400 and all is running ok. Not the best graphics under windows, but working fine (using Virtual Box).
Will try another emulator after.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds