Multiple OS/Boot

More
28 Nov 2018 16:56 #121531 by islander261
Multiple OS/Boot was created by islander261
Hi

My present LCNC machine in my shop works fine running LMDE-2. Now I want to be able to run LCNC on my desktop in my office so I don't always have to be in the shop when working on proposed changes. I will always want to use the current master branch if possible.

My desktop is presently a multiple boot system with a hybrid of Debian and LMDE-3 (this has to do with the LMDE installer and needing a non standard partition arrangement with mirrored hard disks) with other Windozes options so I have access to legacy work (someday the Linux version of SheetCam will work correctly with .SVG files). This is my present Linux OS:
jd@deskmonsterll:~$ uname -a
Linux deskmonsterll 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
jd@deskmonsterll:~$ 
Now for some newbie questions. If I get the OS sources and the RT patch for this installed version will it kill the present installation when I compile it?
If I get the RT patched OS running and booting from GRUB as an alternate to my desktop OS will allowing auto updates to keep my current desktop up to date break my RT patched one when I have booted to the virgin OS?

I did manage to patch and build the the OS for my present controller several years ago, I can't remember what I did then but I am sure I can find the old bookmarks for the instructions I followed.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2018 18:40 #121540 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Multiple OS/Boot
If your desktop is not being used to run a machine, you can simply install the simulation version of Linuxcnc on one of your existing Linux versions. You do not need to install the real time version.

Just add the appropriate repo for buildbot.linuxcnc.org/stretch (I can't look up the exact one right now because buildbot.linuxcnc.org is down right now.

More
28 Nov 2018 20:22 #121545 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Multiple OS/Boot
Linux is very versatile as far as boot options are concerned, so there are several ways of getting what you want, besides what Todd mentioned ( that is by far the easiest way )
Method 1:
Make a EXT4 partition on the existing drive with working partitions. You can always copy a full installation from another hard drive to that partition and just add the entry on the GRUB2 menu.
Method 2:
Use an external HDD or SSD ( usb flash drives can be used but to slow ). Remove existing HDD, insert the external one in the computer or in a USB port ( usb will go much slower ), install as usual, remove the drive and boot from USB whenever you need it.
Method 3:
Use another HDD inside the computer and choose from which one to boot at startup, or make an entry in GRUB2 so you can choose without the need to enter bios or press F12 on Dell, F9 on HP etc.
Method 4:
Use Systemback to create an ISO that you can later use to install or boot from USB drives.
Method 5:
Use Clonezilla to make an image and later restore on any PC.
Or any combination of the above.
Linux works regardless of hardware in 99% of cases, attached to an IDE, Sata, USB, SCSI etc, so you can literally take it out of a laptop, stick an USB to IDE or SATA adapter and boot from USB with everything set up.

More
28 Nov 2018 20:32 #121547 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Multiple OS/Boot
Sorry for the rambling questions. So what I think I understand from your response is that if I want to use RT I need to:

1. Create a new partition for the RT OS.
2. This partition can be a new one on the existing drive, I don't really know how to do this without data loss but will look into it, or install a new hard drive and put the RT OS on it with LCNC.

Is this correct?

New question, can I use the same user directory on an existing partition for both installs?

John

More
29 Nov 2018 10:09 #121588 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Multiple OS/Boot
Yes that is correct.
For using the same user directory for two or more installs, yes it is possible and fairly easy even on two separate hard drives, but it requires having separate "/" and "home" directories, editing the GRUB2 to point to the same "home" partition and edit the fstab to have the same uuid on both installations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: islander261

More
29 Nov 2018 15:39 #121592 by islander261
Tommy

Thank you, I am still very much a Linux newbie. I understand what needs to be done now and have actually done the things you suggested to get my present office machine running the way I want and working with the old Windoze network.

John

More
30 Nov 2018 05:49 - 30 Nov 2018 06:31 #121626 by sivaraj
Replied by sivaraj on topic Multiple OS/Boot
If you have installed LMDE-3 just install the available preempt kernel from the package installer.
or in terminal since you are using amd run > sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-amd64 linux-headers-rt-amd64
4.9 preempt kernel already exist in the repository .
You need not compile the kernel unless you need a own version or different RT kernel.
During package install , it will just update the grub and add another kernel option to the grub menu under LMDE3 kernel choices.
During boot up you can choose the kernel either RT kernel or default kernel.
It will not break anything
Being LMDE3 is based on the stable Debian Stretch version it is unlikely breaks with package updates
Last edit: 30 Nov 2018 06:31 by sivaraj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: islander261

More
30 Nov 2018 15:29 #121635 by islander261
Thanks for the tip. I usually don't look for non office type things in the repository. I found the version that is the same as my installed version in the repository using Synaptic.

John

More
03 Dec 2018 17:31 #121756 by islander261
Update

I did as Sivaraj suggested and all went well for the most part. As usual with my installation the automated GRUB configuration screwed up my GRUB boot menu but I was sure that this would happen and it wasn't hard to fix. This is related to using an old Intel chipset bios raid control for mirrored disks on old Dell hardware, a rare configuration now days.

John

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds