RTAI and Networking

More
06 Aug 2010 16:52 #3609 by KennyC
RTAI and Networking was created by KennyC
<Disclaimer: relatively Linux inexperienced! :unsure: >

Last night I installed a very basic Hardy Heron (not entirely on purpose, hit the wrong button in the wizard :blush:), then added ubuntu-desktop to get a desktop manager, which went fine. Installed EMC2 using the shell script, changed the default boot kernel to 2.6.24-16-rtai, rebooted, and was able to run EMC2. Yay!

...except that while booted into the RTAI kernel, none of my network interfaces work. This is a laptop, so it has the built-in ethernet port and I've added a PCMCIA wireless card. Both of these work great in the generic kernel, just not in RTAI.

I've searched lots regarding this problem and tried installing these packages as suggested...
  • linux-ubuntu-modules-hardy-rtai
  • linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-rtai
  • linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-rtai
...but still no connection for me.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my network adapters working? Other hardware may also be affected (it doesn't recognize the sound card either) but that's a much lower priority than networking.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 22:17 #3612 by KennyC
Replied by KennyC on topic Re:RTAI and Networking
Got the wired connection working! I had to add the option 'irqpoll' to the boot options for the rtai kernel:

/boot/grub/menu.lst
title Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-16-rtai
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-rtai root=UUID=f3674459-3cd0-40b5-80b9-a740fdb4362d ro quiet splash vga=792 irqpoll
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-rtai
quiet

Now, on to the wireless card...

More
06 Aug 2010 22:28 #3613 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:RTAI and Networking
Thanks for sharing that. Mine worked out of the box so I didn't have a clue...

John

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds