are SMB network file shares supported?

More
18 Apr 2019 10:52 #131146 by travis036
i have not yet run an ethernet cable out to my CNC router "shop" yet, but when i do, is it possible to setup Samba? it would be so much easier than a USB flash drive for transferring G code, and backing up LinuxCNC config files. i just wasn't sure if it would have any adverse effect.
mostly just asking for future implementation.

~Travis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2019 11:14 #131147 by rodw
You can but don't ask me how to do it.

When my machine was at home, I had a Synology NAS so I just made an account on the NAS for my LinuxCNC box. That way it had its own home directory on the network. Then I moved my machine to a warehouse and tried to set up Samba. I could not get Linux and Windows 10 to talk to each other so I just pushed my DXF files up to Google Drive and pulled them down on to LinuxCNC where I run them through Sheetcam. I know a lot of people use Dropbox but I've never been a fan of it. But you can't do that if you don't have that ethernet cable there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: travis036

More
18 Apr 2019 11:23 #131148 by travis036
Thank you! i too was going to use a NAS, that shared SMB (FreeNAS).
I just have to figure out if i want to bury the cable, or suspend it from a steel suspension cable (i have exterior grade FTP CAT5e cable).
but now that i know it is supported, i will get a cable run somehow.

again, thanks for the response.

~Travis

More
18 Apr 2019 11:35 #131149 by rodw
Not sure on the distances but a simple solution might be to use a couple of Ubiquiti Wifi radios and build a wifi link. They are pretty much bulletproof and set and forget. I've run a 150 Mbs 800metre link from my house to my Son in law's for about 8 years and its never missed a beat. Apparently you have to be careful with different potentials between different buildings but I'm out of my depth. Our link It only cost us AUD $200 an end but it'd be cheaper today!

More
18 Apr 2019 11:40 #131150 by rodw
We used the LocoM5 on this link. Its good to get out of the 2.4 Ghz wifi spectrum. We use 5 gHz
www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/
The following user(s) said Thank You: travis036

More
18 Apr 2019 11:41 #131151 by travis036
i have been considering that option. i settled on a hard-line based on that i already had the cable. i had not considered the different line potentials.

~Travis

More
18 Apr 2019 14:33 #131164 by InMyDarkestHour
As long as you have the gas packages installed you can browse a samba network (windows network) without any extra configuration.
Have no idea how many goats you need to sacrifice or whether it has to be done at a certain time of year to get windows to play nice.

More
18 Apr 2019 14:46 #131166 by travis036
the NAS server (FreeNAS) doesn't run windows (it is based on FreeBSD), but it serves SMB file shares to my laptop that runs windows, nearly flawlessly. so all i need to do is get the network out there (probably via wireless PTP), and get my LinuxCNC computer to talk to the FreeNAS server.
my other servers run CentOS Linux (spin-off of Red Hat), so i am not familure with installing packages, or confirming already installed packages on the LinuxCNC base OS (Debian Wheezy?). i installed from the LinuxCNC 2.7 ISO distro. keep in mind, this system has never seen the internet since install, so i will likely need a few updates, i would think.

~Travis

More
18 Apr 2019 15:52 #131169 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Travis
If you connect two buildings via ethernet regard the length and cat5e is not very good for high speed plus length anymore. At 100Mhz it should not exceed 90m plus 2x 5m patch cables.
Potential problems are more risky than often regarded, especially in short circuit case. Often shild is not connected and causes intermediate disturbances. And also when shielded wired the shield of the jack's is often not really good connection.
My advise: When good (measured) earth connection between the two buildings dismantle the cable a bit near to the Jack's and give it a good earthing. When not a good earthing than you can make the earthing on one side direct and on the other you make it via resistor and parallel capacitor. In any case connect via unshielded plug cables. And some cents for better quality patch cables can make a huge difference ;-)
Mike

More
18 Apr 2019 19:20 #131176 by Todd Zuercher
Back to your original question, yes you can use SMB. I use Samba to access shares on our network NAS, And before we killed it off a few years ago I even used our Linuxcnc machines to access nework shares on an old Novell server (we used for DOS clients).

To be able to run G-code files on the network share direct from Linuxcnc I usually have to set up a mountpoint on the Linuxcnc machine for the network share. Then I simply access it like a directory from that mount point.

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds