Issues with RS485 adapter after update using archive.debian apt source

More
24 Apr 2019 23:09 - 24 Apr 2019 23:15 #131805 by stelicho
Hi all this is my first post here.

I have a huanyang vfd inverter and have been controlling it on the linuxcnc side with a FTDI RS485 adapter off of amazon.

I was in the process of building an interface board with an ardiuno nano so that I could have limit switches and extra emergency buttons. I was unable to install pyserial without updating the base system, But I was unable to update because the debian repos for wheezy have been moved to archive.debian.org. I went ahead and added
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main
to my apt/sources.list, and updated, and was able to update and install pyserial and other python modules. The linuxcnc repos went untouched. Everything works with my bot still except for the RS485 adapter, which is showing up in dmesg and /dev/ttyUSB0 but it is not blinking or flashing. Its not giving me issues about custom.hal when launching my stepconf, but is not sending anything out or receiving anything from the vfd anymore, where is had been working just fine. No settings were changed on the vfd since the update.

Has anyone had similar issues? Do I need to rollback somehow?

Thanks in advance

Edit: This is the adapter in question.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2019 23:15 by stelicho. Reason: added link to exact model of adapter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2019 23:43 #131811 by InMyDarkestHour
Have you tried communicating with your adapter outside of the linuxcnc environment ?

Do you have the means to do a simple loopback test ?

More
25 Apr 2019 00:35 #131819 by stelicho
I dont have anything else to hook it up to really, but I could try a loopback test thats a good idea thank you

More
25 Apr 2019 03:39 #131833 by tommylight
That looks ( and has written ) as a serial port, there is no FTDI pinout or RS485 anywhere to be found.
RS485 has 2 or 3 pins, the third being the shield or ground.

More
25 Apr 2019 06:04 #131838 by stelicho
ummm, i dont think thats true... ftdi is the usb chip and it comes with a breakout for the RS485(and RS422). pinout mentioned in the link matches the breakout board. can confirm that it worked very well before the update.

loopback test didnt work on linuxcnc but did work on debian 9 live for a bit then stopped. hope its not a fault adapter haha.

More
25 Apr 2019 08:57 #131841 by pl7i92
what does dmesg say is the adapter there and in dialout group

as the live iso responds you may see a simple user not alowed as you updated

More
25 Apr 2019 21:13 #131891 by tommylight

pinout mentioned in the link matches the breakout board. can confirm that it worked very well before the update.

Oh, good.
Then you can try the PL7i92 advice, that should do it, i have to do the same thing on new installations of Linux to be able tu use Arduinos or ESP32.

More
26 Apr 2019 05:15 #131923 by stelicho
im going to post the dmesg portion tonight, however i did already add myself to dialout before the update, when it was working for a few days with no issues, and this is reflected in /etc/passwd

More
26 Apr 2019 05:50 - 26 Apr 2019 05:50 #131926 by InMyDarkestHour
Probably not 100% relevant but if I'm using a piece of USB hardware routinely I generally like to add a udev rule so it has a consistent name under /dev.

If you are going to post the dmesg, could you unplug it, clear the kernel ring buffer and then plug it back in ? Could be an over current situation......but I'm guessing you may have had already seen that.

First dmesg command clears the ring buffer that is a capital C
sudo dmesg -C
pull your dongle out out (now be sensible boys)
sudo dmesg

Just found out that the -H switch is akin to piping dmesg through more.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2019 05:50 by InMyDarkestHour.

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds