cssd m.2 someone have trouble with ??

More
29 Apr 2019 17:24 #132304 by bkt
has anyone tried to install mint 64bit on cssd m.2 (for ex. 1500mb / sec) and check if the latency performance has improved compared to a classic ssd?

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2019 20:30 #132314 by InMyDarkestHour
First thing you will want to check is if there is support in Mint.
Debian with a lighter weight desktop and window manager will help.
Whilst Mint is a great distro for a desktop machine I feel it is a bit “heavy” for linuxcnc.

More
30 Apr 2019 08:53 #132334 by bkt
for sure is supported from mint .... for sure it's heavy ... but it's difficult to run many applications (opencv, graphical gui whit qt, ssh continuous communication) + linuxcnc on a light OS. I ask about mint because many Lcnc people use it ... but at these time I use Ubuntu 18.04.
For sure i prefer RTAI instead rt-preempt .... but RTAI 5 not support at 100% 64bit or newer kernel .... so you can suggest some SO linux kernel 64bit from 4.10 to 4.15 lighter?

very thanks for your reply or furter suggest

More
30 Apr 2019 11:01 #132342 by rodw
Long term RTAI is not going to survive in the Linux world. PREEMPT_RT will become the only real time version out there. Here is an interesting article. There are some big players with real money behind it.

www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/2018/09/rea...elopment-and-beyond/

More
30 Apr 2019 11:05 - 30 Apr 2019 12:03 #132343 by InMyDarkestHour
Yeah you can run all that on debian with xfce desktop

But do you want to control an actual machine or just play ?
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 12:03 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
01 May 2019 15:08 #132444 by bkt
He rodw .... I have a subscription on linuxfoundation from 2015.

xfce is avaiable on ubuntu minimal and mint too ... but normally mint people prefer cinammon or qtgui .... i think qtgui is more versatile solution .... but if the weight of wm is the problem .... you can use qt framework and no other.

regards

More
05 May 2019 01:43 #132793 by tommylight
I am one of those MINT people, but i use MATE always, on all laptops and PC's ( 3 laptops, 4 PC's in daily use ). I also use Mint with mate on miners with Nvidia cards, although they do not have monitors connected.

More
05 May 2019 04:42 #132807 by InMyDarkestHour
Do you have a local repo setup for updates ?
I use reprepro update one machine copy the updates to my server and the other machines get the updates from there ?
Anyone given arch ago ? I had a play around last night on a virtual machine with a 5 series kernel with rt?
The linuxcnc and libmodbus build scripts needed a bit of a massage to play nicely. But last night was the first time playing with arch

More
05 May 2019 22:11 #132877 by tommylight
No i do not, i just use dist-upgrade from time to time and disable automatic updates. This is to prevent installing new kernels, as i use preempt-rt on all of them.
I have 2 versions of arch that i rarely use on a USB SSD, but i have not done an arch install in several years.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds