Dell WYSE 7020 Thin Client - with Parallel and Serial Ports - 25,000ns latency

More
20 Jun 2019 04:08 #137342 by Skippy1
FYI Guys,

I picked up one of these NOS thin client fanless units, ( Dell WYSE 7020 ZX0Q 4GB RAM 64GB Flash ), the other day for a non-CNC project. As it has the optional legacy ports, including a parallel port, I thought I would check the latency figures. I loaded Debian/LinucCNC 2.7.?? onto the flash drive, and ran the latency test while I opened a couple of sets of GLX Gears, fiddles with a few things, trawled the internet etc. In summary, the Base Thread Max Jitter was up to 25,000ns, so not an outstanding candidate for CNC.

Note that the options in the BIOS, are pretty basic. I disabled as many unnecessary things as possible - audio, Bluetooth etc. However, the BIOS has limited options. It allows you to Enable/Disable the parallel/serial ports, but there is no option to select the parallel port mode. Likewise, you can't limit the number of CPU cores which operate etc.

I'll leave LinuxCNC on it for a few days, so if anyone would like me to try something, just let me know.

Cheers, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 06:55 #137348 by pl7i92
hi
25,000ns,
is GREAT
the BASE config will be a 100000 AS it is the minimum SAFE standard in Linuxcnc
GET 40000 into the latency Entry line in your wizard

and y<ou are up to run SAFE and easy 6m/min(100steps/mm) 600000steps/min 10000steps/s

so go with it

More
20 Jun 2019 18:43 #137406 by andypugh

hi
25,000ns,
is GREAT

I wouldn't say it is "great" but it is definitely "good enough"

People get too hung-up on latency. Anything < 50k is probably usable for software stepping.
Anything < 200k is probably usable with a Mesa card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, HalaszAttila

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds