latency and GRBL

More
01 Nov 2019 14:31 #149364 by DangerToMyelf
I'm still in the research part of taking the plunge into CNC and have a question regarding latency.

The machine I have chosen to learn with, a Chinese 3018, uses an Arduino and GRBL. Is latency an issue with this setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2019 14:46 #149366 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic latency and GRBL
This is a LinuxCNC forum, GRBL is an alternate machine controller
so latency as such is not an issue (or at least the same issue)

Not sure what the best source of GRBL help is
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerToMyelf

More
01 Nov 2019 15:04 - 01 Nov 2019 15:05 #149367 by DangerToMyelf
Replied by DangerToMyelf on topic latency and GRBL
I appreciate your thoughts. I am planning to use LinuxCNC as my OS. And I'm still figuring out how that will be set up to work with my machine and the other programs I'll be using such as Eagle for PCBs.

And how the PC could/will affect the 3018.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 15:05 by DangerToMyelf.

More
01 Nov 2019 15:44 #149369 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic latency and GRBL
Linuxcnc is not an OS, it is a machine controller. Linux is an OS that Linuxcnc runs on.

More
01 Nov 2019 16:01 #149371 by DangerToMyelf

Linuxcnc is not an OS, it is a machine controller. Linux is an OS that Linuxcnc runs on.

True. But it's all installed at the same time as far as I can tell. So why differentiate?

Nor does that answer my question that may not have been asked correctly. Which is "Will latency be an issue when using a Linux PC running LinuxCNC when sending commands to a GRBL based CNC? In other words, do I need to worry about latency when selecting a PC for my application? Or will any Linux capable PC do the job?

More
01 Nov 2019 17:31 #149376 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic latency and GRBL
As far as I know GRBL has no real time requirements for an interfacing PC, so latency should be completely irrelevant. (but I know next to nothing about GRBL)

More
01 Nov 2019 17:47 #149377 by DangerToMyelf

As far as I know GRBL has no real time requirements for an interfacing PC, so latency should be completely irrelevant. (but I know next to nothing about GRBL)

Thank you. I just found another reference that reads pretty much along those lines. So, a PC capable of running LinuxCNC (Ubuntu) is all I need to worry about at this time. Latency won't be an issue until I go bigger and utilize a real "motion control board".

Question answered, IMO.

More
01 Nov 2019 18:19 #149381 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic latency and GRBL
You don't need Linuxcnc at all. Linuxcnc will not interface with GRBL at all, nor any other motion control. Linuxcnc is a motion control, and will not play nice with another.

PS It’s been a long time since linuxcnc came with Ubuntu. The Ubuntu Linuxcnc ISOs are very obsolete.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds